Back to ForumBack to top
gbrowning - 7d ago
To brighten up a bedroom - can you help?

Hi.  The last room in my flat to decorate is a bedroom.  After the great ideas on here for the lounge, I wondered if anyone could suggest some schemes the bedroom?  It's not huge, and has to fit a 150cm (king size uk) mattress / bed, plus 2 bedsides, a wardrobe and a chest of drawers. 

I've put a scale drawing on my dashboard marked as Bedroom 1.   It's currently beige, with very dark brown furniture and the bed facing out the window.  It doesn't get a lot of light, so I'm hoping to make it look fresh and bright - with some colour if possible.   Any and all ideas are gratefully received.    Grant 

gbrowning 7d ago
19 replies
gbrowning - 7d ago
gbrowning 7d ago
gbrowning - 7d ago

PS - All existing furniture is going - so it's an empty room right now. 

gbrowning 7d ago
chloe_mccarty - 7d ago

can we change floor and wall colors? and is there any specific theme and is this a guest bedroom or for a kid? 

gbrowning - 7d ago

Ah yes. Important points!  Feel free to pick any colour scheme at all for the room and furniture / floor.  It’s a guest bedroom used for adults.  Used a lot  in the summer when family come for  most of the season. 

gbrowning 7d ago
chloe_mccarty - 7d ago

ok thank you! do you need a desk or book area?

gbrowning - 7d ago

If there is room for a small desk area for some occasional laptop work, that would be great.  No books needed.  

gbrowning 7d ago
chania - 6d ago
chania 6d ago
chania - 6d ago
chania 6d ago
chania - 6d ago
chania 6d ago
chania - 6d ago
chania 6d ago
gbrowning - 5d ago

Wow - some really good ideas there.  Thank you very much.  It's a difficult room to configure because it's quite small, but you've made it look really nice in each of the different layouts.  

gbrowning 5d ago
Theadora - 5d ago

Hi Grant,

Here is another idea for your guest room, hope you like it. :)

Theadora 5d ago
gbrowning - 4d ago

Another very nice look for the room, thank you Theadora.   The bed placement is interesting.  Having moved the real bed around the room (furniture is gone), it seems to look best against that wall.  Just wondering if it would feel a bit 'public' given where the door is.   If I change the hinge of the door though - that might be enough.  

gbrowning 4d ago
Theadora - 4d ago

Traditionally, residential bedroom doors swing into the room and rest against the wall when fully opened.

Having the door swing the other way:

1. Forces you to step around the door when you enter, with a wall right there it gets annoying. :)

2. The door could hit anything placed behind the door.

3. Since it's a guest room I don't really understand about the door swing making the room feel a bit "public". When you have guests, they would be the only ones making use of the room so privacy wouldn't be an issue.

4. When you change the hinges you'll have to change the light switches too.

Theadora 4d ago
gbrowning - 4d ago

Good points all!  And a very good list to keep the door as it is.   And actually thinking about it my last house had exactly the same thing - bed faced the door and it was just fine.  

gbrowning 4d ago
Tzed Design - 3d ago

Thank you for the opportunity to remix your bedroom, @gbrowning. 

pingbubbles - 2d ago

hi gbrowning!

great to see another challenge for us!

here's my design.

1) noticed the original had green walls so decided to just follow on that scheme using very light green (almost white) walls for the entire room except a brighter green for the accent wall behind the bed

2) to keep the room bright - used white/wood furniture.

3) Chose a streamlined bed with a metal semi-full headboard (meaning the headboard does not cover the wall completely and you can still see some of the wall) to give a more spacious feel.

4) A sliding door wardrobe to maximise the space. I would go for a slightly thinner and smaller one since it's a guest bedroom but couldn't find a smaller one in the same colour in roomstyler.

5) managed to add a small dressing/work table near the window

6) added a carpet as well as a pouf at the end of the bed to add some colour and cosiness to the room as well as serve as seating.

hope you like it!

pingbubbles - 2d ago

oh yes, i also used the same coloured floors as your lounge for consistency throughout the house.

pingbubbles - 2d ago

another layout with the bed against the long wall for more spaciousness at both sides of the bed.  the furniture is the same except for the table which i have switched to a smaller floating wall table. the accent wall has also been changed to the long wall where the bed is.