Back to ForumBack to top
mtracerz - 5 months ago
Newbie trying to design new living room

Good evening to you all,

I somehow managed to stumble over this website and tool by chance and in awe of the talent on here!

I have spent 3 long nights trying to create a living room design for my new house I am moving into at the end of the month.

Struggling to get to grips with it all though and would love for some feedback, or pointers or if anyone wants to edit/change anything in my design for some new inspiration. As you can see, design is not my strong point :)

Hoping to broaden my skills in this community, and look forward to hopefully contributing to the discussion.

My attempts are here.

mtracerz 5 months ago
26 replies
Theadora - 5 months ago

Hi newbie :)

The design you have posted above is set to private which means that no one can take a closer look at it. Since this template is a bit different from your public (black) one could you pls make it public?

Your public design is black because the walls expand when the design renders so now your camera is stuck in the wall. Just move the camera forward and re-render. 

It might be a good idea to check out Roomstyler's Manual at the top of the Forum page and their videos, it will help you a lot.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/media.eu.mydeco3d.com/media/manual/manual-en-2013-v1.pdf 

Do you prefer for us to use the furniture in your design or are you o.k. with a total overhaul? If so, what are your colour/style preferences, what furniture is needed/wanted and  are you keeping the "existing" flooring? Also, is this the style of fireplace you have?

Warning: Once you get the hang of it, this site is totally addictive. :)

Theadora 5 months ago
mtracerz - 5 months ago

Hi Theadora,

I have been on and made them all public, thanks for pointing that out. That black one was the very first attempt and was actually wrong as it did not include the chimney breast.

I had a skim through the manual before starting, however think I will take a thorough read over the weekend. Really keen to build my skills on this, like you say I think it may become addictive, but something that will be beneficial too! Would be great to get to a semi-decent standard and take part in the competitions.

Here is the house I have bought for some pictures of the room.  I move in at the end of the month, so would love to have designed the majority of the rooms by then, but thought I would start with the living room.

You can completely overhaul the place if you like. I plan on playing about with a few different designs/layouts, would be interesting to see some other ideas too. I also will be buying all new furniture.

The house is quite rural, a lot of open countryside and green fields, so would like the colour schemes to work with that. My wife and I quite like neutral and bright spaces, and found ourselves liking light brown leather sofas when browsing last week. 

There is existing hardwood floor in the living room and adjoining hall way, so I thought about just getting that sanded and recoloured, however open to ideas. I am willing to spend a bit to make it great.

You will see the fireplace from the picture, however I think we would like to take that out and have a log burner installed into the chimney stack. That was way over my skill set though!! 

Appreciate the support and tips so far Theadora. Heres hoping by the time I have a fully designed house I will be a bit more competent at the program, and have some great design ideas to get started on when we pick up the keys on the 28th :)

mtracerz 5 months ago
mtracerz - 5 months ago
mtracerz 5 months ago
mtracerz - 5 months ago

mtracerz 5 months ago
PenAndPaper - 5 months ago

to be authentic to the real room, does the floor, wall color, and fireplace, have to stay the same?

PenAndPaper 5 months ago
mtracerz - 5 months ago

Hey,

No that is all open to change.

I think I would like to change the fireplace, don't really like it. Chimney stack in the wall would of course remain.

Walls and floor can be redone, plan to get decorators in straight away when I get the keys.

I just kept them the same on my first attempt to try and get to grips with the system.

Thanks for the reply :)

mtracerz 5 months ago

Here's what I'd do with the room. 

PenAndPaper 5 months ago
mtracerz - 5 months ago

You put that together very quick. Nice work and a totally different feel to my attempt. 

Really like the book shelves and the sofas focused together. 

I should have mentioned though... I need to build in a 6foot lizard tank somewhere within the room. Also would need a tv. 

I really appreciate you taking the time to come up with your design. I may rethink couch placement and bookshelf! :)

mtracerz 5 months ago

You could put the tv over the fireplace which is updated. The super cool lizard tank could go on the right-hand wall on the picture. Take out the small couch and add in two chairs where the stools are instead. 

PenAndPaper 5 months ago
mtracerz - 5 months ago

Brilliant, thank you :)

mtracerz 5 months ago
chania - 5 months ago
chania 5 months ago
chania - 5 months ago
chania 5 months ago
chania - 5 months ago
chania 5 months ago
mtracerz - 5 months ago

thanks Chania, green certainly an interesting colour!

I quite like the sofas each side of the chimney stack.

mtracerz 5 months ago
Theadora - 5 months ago

Hi mtracerz

An eclectic room, hope you like it. :)

Theadora 5 months ago
Theadora - 5 months ago

The other side... If you prefer I can replace the centre bookcase and chair with a desk and office chair.

Theadora 5 months ago
Valentinapenta - 4 months ago

It's a lovely home.  May I ask why you must have the lizard  cage in the formal lounge?  It looks like there's an office space and family room/bedroom across the hall from the lounge which could accommodate it.  

Valentinapenta 4 months ago
mtracerz - 4 months ago

Hey Theadora, thank you for your design.

I must say quite a few of your ideas appeal to me.

The log burner looks far better than the gas fire, think that is now a must!

I love the plans with wood floor and the corner sofa looks great there.

Really appreciate your time :)

mtracerz 4 months ago
mtracerz - 4 months ago

Thanks Valentina, we are really happy with it.

I like to be able to see him when we are relaxing, plus his cage is like a mini rainforest.

We plan on turning the bedroom across the hall into a big projector screen cinema room :)

mtracerz 4 months ago
mtracerz - 4 months ago

Tried to to come at got from a different angle to accommodate a sofa we liked whilst browsing the shops on Saturday.

mtracerz 4 months ago

A media room will be nice.  You've come up with a great for this room.  Nice job.

Meant to say,you've come up with a great design for this room.

Theadora - 4 months ago

Thank you and you're welcome!

Good luck with your house. :)

Theadora 4 months ago
mtracerz - 4 months ago

Theodora, if you have time would you mind showing me your idea with the computer desk and chair? Thanks :)

mtracerz 4 months ago
Theadora - 4 months ago

Hi again,  here is the revised version of the living space, hope you like it. :)

Theadora 4 months ago
Theadora - 4 months ago

Btw, please feel free to copy my design to your profile page by hovering over the 3 dots bottom right and going "Save as". This will transfer my design to your profile page and you can have fun changing anything you like. :)    

Theadora 4 months ago