Back to ForumBack to top
Cmander36 - 13d ago
How to create a "half wall" that exists in my house

Hey there,

Just discovered this amazing tool and right at the perfect time! My wife and I are in the process of renovating our basement and would love to build it out here to help us visualize what we want.

Essentially the issue I'm having is the basement is a half sublevel/half ground level. The walls that are sub level stick out about 3 inches creating a ledge on the exterior walls. (image here: https://imgur.com/182AZtp ) We want to do shiplap panelling on the bottom half and paint the top half. 

From what I've seen, this isn't achievable with this tool– unless I'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Cmander36 13d ago
6 replies
hauser - 13d ago
hauser 13d ago
Cmander36 - 13d ago

@hauser okay- you're amazing! Now how'd you do that? (And what are those flush mount high hats called?).

Thank you so much for this!

Cmander36 13d ago
LB1981 - 13d ago

You can create this effect using two walls pushed right up together - you can paint each one with a different texture - then you can use a rectangular opening from the doors tab in the build section. This is essentially a blank opening in the wall which you can adjust the height and width of. So for your room you could make an opening that basically cuts out the top part of the wall, leaving only the lower part.

There are other tricks you can use to achieve different effects but the best thing is to find a room created by someone else and pick it apart using the remix option (3 little dots on the bottom right) and work out how it's been done.

Below is a link to a room that demonstrates this - the walls at the back have the rectangular openings at various heights along them and are pushed up against the full wall immediately behind.

LB1981 13d ago
sherryDN - 13d ago

I needed this information also. Thanks for the very detailed instructions.  love this design LB1981 !!!   

sherryDN 13d ago
hauser - 13d ago

Sorry, i thought you know the remix function. 

hauser 13d ago
sherryDN - 13d ago

Hi, hauser, this is sherryDN; I'm relatively new to roomstyler and I just recently learned about the remix function......just this past week.   I'm learning!!! - I read and try so I can learn.  That is how I have learned numerous different software of various natures&fields.  It's fun to me.  I enjoy interior design; it is kind of like a video game is to my son; who is 28 yrs old now; it's addicting and I can just unwind and design a pretty room.  

sherryDN 13d ago