Back to ForumBack to top
ilse1989 - 6d ago
Help: Dining and living room

Hi!

We are going to build a new home, but i'm not really sure about de dining and living room (is 1 room together). I already tried to find a nice composition, but i think it can be better. The room is about 10.0m by 5.6m. Here you can see what i already tried. The doors and windows can not be changed. Are there any of you that have some nice ideas? Thanks!

ilse1989 6d ago
25 replies
Theadora - 5d ago

Hi ilse1989

Can you make your design public? In order to come up with ideas for you we need to have access to your template. :) 

Theadora 5d ago
chania - 5d ago
chania 5d ago
chania - 5d ago
chania 5d ago
chania - 5d ago
chania 5d ago
chania - 5d ago
chania 5d ago
chania - 5d ago
https://roomstyler.com/rooms/32958506/keuken-nieuw-dining-room

chania 5d ago
chania - 5d ago
chania 5d ago
ilse1989 - 5d ago

Waw Chania, thanks  a lot for your help! I was scared that it would not be cosy in the way that i had designed it, but your design is a lot better :). I really like the kitchen, dining table, ... Only 1 thing I'm not sure about: we have a big family, so i think the sofa's can be better in an other position to have enough space? 

ilse1989 5d ago
renaldo33 - 4d ago

mooi gedaan

renaldo33 4d ago
chania - 4d ago

chania 4d ago
chania - 4d ago
chania 4d ago
chania - 4d ago
chania 4d ago
chania - 4d ago
chania 4d ago
chania - 4d ago
chania 4d ago
Theadora - 4d ago

Hi there, here is another idea for your living/dining room, hope you like it. :)

Theadora 4d ago
Theadora - 4d ago

Theadora 4d ago
Theadora - 2d ago

Theadora 2d ago
Theadora - 2d ago

Theadora 2d ago
chania - 18h ago
chania 18h ago
chania - 18h ago
chania 18h ago
chania - 18h ago
chania 18h ago
chania - 18h ago
chania 18h ago
ilse1989 - 8h ago

Hello everybody :)

Thank you very much for all your help en creative ideas. I'm not a very creative person, especially for making a cosy interior... but now I've found really nice things! Thanks to you :)! I feel most for the second design of Chania (the design you have made 4 days ago with 1 big sofa). But I do also like a lot using a round table for dining. Another thing I'm not really sure about, is the fireplace in the middle of the room or against the wall. Because we have a big family, and I think its more practice to preserve the big room? Or maybe just place a bookshelf or something I can move if I want to? I think it's more cozy to divide the room in two like you did with the fireplace, but I'm afraid for when the family comes. 

What do you think about the kitchen? I now designed it as you see, and you use it all like the same way, but my husband thinks it may be better to turn the island 90°. 

Thanks for your fine ideas :) 

ilse1989 8h ago
Theadora - 6h ago

Hi ilse1989

You only have 1 room public and it's not one of the rooms you posted here. We can't see your latest kitchen.

Some things to consider:

1. By turning the kitchen island, the people sitting at it will have their backs to the windows/view and would not be able to have a conversation with people sitting at the dining room table, not an ideal situation when you have a dinner party.

2. By using a large round table you are wasting a lot of space since no one can use/reach the center of the table unless you have a carousel. It also takes up a lot of space in the room because you can't place it against a wall like a rectangular table when you need extra space. Having the dining area next to the kitchen surrounded by windows seems to be the logical place for it. You could seat a total of 9 including the 3 counter stools when you use a rectangular table. 

3. Having a fireplace on a wall always looks cosy but you don't want 2 focal points so it's better to put the T.V. on the wall above it.

4. Your room is plenty big enough to have a free standing fireplace as room divider between the kitchen and the rest of the room, this way it can be enjoyed from all sides - besides, you don't always want to see the mess in the kitchen when you sit in the living room. :)

5. Because you need a lot of seating it might be better to get modular pieces for the living room and arrange them to your liking, this way you have room to seat at least 8 = 6 modular pieces plus an easy chair and a pouf. 

Theadora 6h ago