Back to ForumBack to top
David - 2y ago
Contest: Attic Room with Dormer

Feel free to talk about things regarding this contest in here.

David 2y ago
31 replies
Lifandus - 2y ago

Interesting Concept!!!!!

Lifandus 2y ago
Lifandus - 2y ago

Second inspiration link doesn't seem to be working....

Lifandus 2y ago

Technically speaking,  a dormer is not sloped ceilings with a window inserted in the roof.  The actual definition of a dormer is: a window that projects vertically from a sloping roof.

I know this to be true because I happen to live in the country and live in an old farmhouse that has lots of dormers.  

Dormers are basically cut out sections that extend vertically beyond the existing roof. 

There's some good examples here:

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/dormer-bedroom/?lp=true

and here are some more good examples

https://www.houzz.com/photos/bedroom/query/dormers

Theadora - 2y ago

You're absolutely right Laura. What David is "talking" about is a dak raam...translation: roof window. Lots of houses in Holland have them. :)

Theadora 2y ago
Theadora - 2y ago

Looking at inspiration # 1, I think both styles would be just fine. :)

Theadora 2y ago
NikolinaB26 - 2y ago

Excellent! Let's get some play!

David - 2y ago

Hi all, very good point your are making there Laura. Thanks! For this contest both the dormer and the roof windows are okay and accepted.

David 2y ago
arosytoes - 2y ago

Um, when I tried to make my house into a 3D photo, it worked but the place where the room should be doesn't show the room. Do you guys know how to fix it? I am only twelve so I don't know how to work this very well.

arosytoes 2y ago
Theadora - 2y ago

Move your camera forward, it's stuck in the wall. When the design renders the walls expand a little. :)

Theadora 2y ago
arosytoes - 2y ago

Thank you @theadora

arosytoes 2y ago

even though i have applied a scenery it can't be seen through the windows (perhaps because of the walls). Can someone check it out and help me? 

Daisy320 - 2y ago

There are many entries that don't really look like "dormers" rather just slanted attic roof walls .  .I withdrew what I had entered because as I studied it, it doesn't fit criteria. I certainly hope everyone remembers and understands the criteria before voting. I'm going to work a design that does it right. 

Daisy320 2y ago
Theadora - 2y ago

See David's comment above, both dormers and roof windows (which are slanted attic roof walls) are okay and accepted.  :)

Theadora 2y ago
Daisy320 - 2y ago

Thanks...well, I think I'm going to do a different one anyway. Posting older designs don't seem to win or place well anyway. So going to do a new one. 

Daisy320 2y ago
Theadora - 2y ago

Never had any interest in winning or placing well, just having fun. Good luck with your design, they're always awesome!  :)

Theadora 2y ago
Daisy320 - 2y ago

Well, I like to at least place well enough to earn credits to make sure all of mine can be 4K renderings. I love those more detailed versions. :) 

Daisy320 2y ago
I've tried several times, but I can not win the contest, I do not know what it takes to compete, and how to make the projects stay on the main page of the roomstyler, I'm happy if anyone can answer me.
Daisy320 - 2y ago

Neide, you can't "make" your design stay on main page. They wind up there with the momentum of "likes" you receive. You eventually lose that momentum and others gain momentum. Don't expect any of them to stay there. And to compete and win contests, you just have to keep working on your design skills. When enough people vote for it because they like it, then you win. I have won a few, but many designs that I thought would place better from my entries did not do as well even though I love the designs. So, you just never know. It just depends on the other entries and who happens to be voting. Everyone likes different styles, etc. Don't worry about winning, just have fun with it and design what you like. The rest will follow. :) Good luck! 

Daisy320 2y ago
Okay, thank you so much, dayse320.
Theadora - 2y ago

If the brief asks for  "A spacious room with a lot of light coming in through a dormer." why are so many sitting in the dark with the lights on?

Theadora 2y ago

@Theodora, I couldn't agree more.  For months/years people have complained about rooms that do not fit description.  Granted some people will choose to never follow the descriptions.  But the only way to really get people to follow them is to continue to flag entries that do not meet the description.  Eventually if they are flagged enough perhaps they will start reading the description.  I realize several people will say contests are for fun.  But what's the use of making it a 'contest' if anything goes.  If it is simply a showcase then forget all the voting.  If it is a contest we should not be comparing apples to oranges.  If rooms don't fit they should not be there.  This also opens up the possibility for people that do continue to read the rules and abide by them. This by no means is meant as an insult to those that do not meet the descriptions....some are still amazing rooms.  But it is simply unfair to judge a dark room against a room with daylight.  Unfortunately some of the very same people that do not read the descriptions will also vote on rooms that do not meet descriptions....such a slap in the face to people that do follow the description. 

Theadora - 2y ago

Well said Laura! :)

Unfortunately, I believe the biggest problem is that Roomstyler is not holding up to their side of the deal by removing the designs that don't fit the brief (that I'm quite sure have been flagged).

It would make things a lot easier on members and RS staff alike if David and/or Nico would give competitions the once over before voting starts and remove the obviously non-complying designs instead of leaving it up to members to flag them (It was a good idea but apathy seems to have killed it).

I'd be o.k. flagging a few but I just don't have spare energy to police competitions, this one is just too much.  

Theadora 2y ago
shahr - 2y ago

@Theadora, I agree. In fact before voting on the Light Dining contest started, I spotted several that did not meet the requirements. I flagged them. When I checked back the next day (voting had begun) they were still there! It just doesn't seem fair to the other users who have to compete against entries that don't match the contest.

shahr 2y ago

@Teadora, @LaModeCeleste and @InteriorsbyLaura I agree with you all. It is really getting hard. What is the difficulty in following the criteria? In the Light Dining there were people using pendants that are already with many lights, not creating their own and surpriselly were well voted!!!! Anyway...

marleinxs - 2y ago

I absolutely love this contest, and how much I love all the rooms, I'm only gonna be voting for rooms that have actual dormers, because that is what the criteria says. I've seen beautiful rooms already!

marleinxs 2y ago
Daisy320 - 2y ago

Wow. Sure didn't have enough votes for this one - great work, beautiful rooms, so many winners no matter how you place! Good luck everyone! 

Daisy320 2y ago
Tree Nut - 2y ago

Agree Daisy, there are such gorgeous designs here!

Tree Nut 2y ago
Lifandus - 2y ago

Congrats to evahassing, Selene_, maja97, martillaga, GoliaNova, and everyone else!

Lifandus 2y ago
Daisy320 - 2y ago

Congrats to Eva, Selene, Maja and everyone else. Great designs! Lots of talent on this site! 

Daisy320 2y ago
marleinxs - 2y ago

Congratulations to Eva, Selene and all the others!!

marleinxs 2y ago
starsector - 2y ago

Congratulations Eva, Selene and Maja!!  And for all the other gorgeous designs!

starsector 2y ago