Back to ForumBack to top
David - over 1y ago
Contest: Design A Real Hotel Room!

The Light Human Hotel concept, as they explain it in their own words:

"Everything here is designed to generate human interaction, and provide meaningful experiences and entertainment. Our aim is to go far beyond the traditional vision of hotels and develop sustainable ‘places to live’ for the 21st century."

+ people first: wellbeing and environmental respect

Light Human Hotels is probably the first true ecologic hotel brand. This means that from architecture to operations, everything is thought to make people feel good and to preserve resources for next generations. Interior Design is part of this value and must be thought to create wellbeing for guests and for staff on a day-to-day basis.

+ multigenerational: flexibility/adaptability

The challenge for the community is to create very flexible spaces whom tomorrow’s travelers will easily appropriate for themselves. Beyond the definition of a smooth interior atmosphere, these different configurations of space should be at the heart of the proposals.

+ music: the sound of silence

Acoustic should be taken into account as “the sound of silence” will truly make the difference inside the rooms. From Spotify to incorporated Stereo speakers, every single guest will have an amazing acoustic experience listening to its own music.

+ night & day

Just like in most of Lifestyle hotels, amenities of Light Human Hotels are the place to be, to share and to have fun. Nevertheless, we strongly believe that guestrooms remain very important. For that reason, the other challenge is to create an interior Design that make Light rooms great at night (the minimum for short stay), but also great during the day (necessary for 3 days or more stay).

And of course, feel free to talk about things regarding this contest in here.

David over 1y ago
54 replies
Lackew - over 1y ago

can we add more windows (on the same side as the current)?

Lackew over 1y ago
hillygabe - over 1y ago
it will be very hard to render this room to be able to show all the areas of the room. what can be done?
hillygabe over 1y ago

I'm curious what city the room will be in, or if the design should be less site-specific.

fippydude - over 1y ago

I am having trouble changing the flooring.  It renders in some spots but not others i.e. around the bed area.

fippydude over 1y ago
Lackew - over 1y ago

@fippy delete the floor (may have to do it twice) then delete the wall behind the bed, then reDraw that wall!

Lackew over 1y ago
Lackew - over 1y ago

@Brittany there is a link to their website on the contest page for more info

Lackew over 1y ago
hauser - over 1y ago

I read the site, their design-guide ( yes, you can find it there ) but i didnt expected , what we can see in their first hotel ... 

hauser over 1y ago
hauser - over 1y ago

@fippydude :

Delete the whole floor once and  a wall an redraw the wall. I had to do it even twice. 

hauser over 1y ago
fippydude - over 1y ago

Thanks everyone.  I am getting good at deleting things.

fippydude over 1y ago
evahassing - over 1y ago

This is a pretty big hotel room. Is it supposed to be for an individual, couples or families with children? Will it have a kitchen or food preparing facilities of some sort?

evahassing over 1y ago
meggle - over 1y ago

Eva,  the description says "remix this family hotel room" so I suppose it's for family with children, but it would be nice if they confirm this so we can start creating... I have few questions myself: can we pun on a kitchen, can we make some changes to the bathroom ?!

meggle over 1y ago
Interiors by Laura - over 1y ago

This is just a guess, but it said for short stay or long stay, so I am guessing a small kitchenette would work.

Interiors by Laura over 1y ago
David - over 1y ago

@evahassing @meggle yes indeed it is a family room.

David over 1y ago
evahassing - over 1y ago

Thanks meggle, I missed this obvious clue :D But I would still like to know if the kitchen/kitchenette should be in the room and also how many beds if it´s for a family?

evahassing over 1y ago
David - over 1y ago

- Can we add more windows (on the same side as the current)?

Yes you can add windows just in one side. The long side where there is already one window.

- I’m curious what city the room will be in?

The Hotel will be in the heart of Corsica it’s Natural Regional Park, classified as a UNESCO' World Heritage. The Hotel is remarkably located on the banks of the River Vecchio, surrounded by lush nature.

- Can we put in a kitchen?

No full kitchen. Only the traditional Hotel room items like coffee machine, mini bar and a microwave.

- Can we make some changes to the bathroom?

Yes, you can change and move the bathroom.

David over 1y ago
meggle - over 1y ago

Thanks so much David :))

meggle over 1y ago

great! that helps a lot!

Ebru Tekneci - over 1y ago

a difficult competition :)

Ebru Tekneci over 1y ago
Vampire_Kitty - over 1y ago

May we resize the bathroom?

Vampire_Kitty over 1y ago

I am guessing no on resizing the bathroom.  I am pretty sure it said not to move the walls

Lackew - over 1y ago

Per David from above:

- Can we make some changes to the bathroom?

Yes, you can change and move the bathroom.

Lackew over 1y ago

hmmm, Since it had previously been said we could not move walls, I had just took that to mean that we could move items around and trade out for other fixtures.  But I could be wrong

hauser - over 1y ago

hmm, if i look at the results so far i rarely find "hotel". 

hauser over 1y ago
evahassing - over 1y ago

The walls surrounding the closet. Is that a load bearing wall or can it be removed or changed in some way?

evahassing over 1y ago
Lackew - over 1y ago

Is it me or do these look the same  and  ?

Lackew over 1y ago
Lackew - over 1y ago

oops  

Lackew over 1y ago
evahassing - over 1y ago

Pretty much yes...

evahassing over 1y ago
Lackew - over 1y ago

At 1st I thought my scrolling was looping lol

Lackew over 1y ago

I had saw both of them but like you thought they were the same one and I had saw the same one twice.  Had not picked up on the slight differences until seeing them side by side.  But definitely they are they same.

Madge2017 - over 1y ago

I was under the impression that remixes were not able to be submitted in contests.  Both show who the original designer is, but they also show another name.  If they had entered in two different contests, I might not have remembered due to the changes of most of the furniture.  However, I am sure the wallpaper on the ceiling and the distinctive scenery would have stuck in my mind...

Madge2017 over 1y ago

For most contest remixes are not allowed.  But there are a select few in which the directions have us to all use the same floorplan, which is posted in the contest.  In that instance only a remix of that design is permitted.

David - over 1y ago

- But I would still like to know if the kitchen/kitchenette should be in the room and also how many beds if it´s for a family? (question from Eva)

This room is suitable for 2 persons but also for a family. So about the beds you can do the both the configurations.

David over 1y ago
Theadora - over 1y ago

The website advertises separate kids bedrooms?

Theadora over 1y ago
Tiendanordica - over 1y ago

Can I use the official logo of Human Light Hotels for my design??

Tiendanordica over 1y ago
Fika Chawich Fares - over 1y ago

How many windows can I put on the wall we are allowed to put on? can I put a large one (panoramic view)?

Fika Chawich Fares over 1y ago
abards97 - over 1y ago

Are we allowed to move the wardrobe in the center of the room? Thank you!

abards97 over 1y ago
Theadora - over 1y ago

First, as mentioned before, there is Jordan Andre's "Lavar Ball" remix of herrincook's "Luxury in Norway".

Then there is tomsharpie's own template placed next to David's template thus creating a totally different design "Sharpe Alpine".

And lastly there is afg15's "can we stay longer" remix of MandyB84's "See the light".

Remixes are not allowed in competitions, copying someone else's design and making minimal changes is so unfair to the original designer (whether in a competition or not).

To make it even more unfair these designs often get likes and if we get to vote in this case, might even get votes from members who don't take the time to really check the designs out.

@David, 

1. Can you please remove these "designs"?

2. Is it still worthwhile for us to use the flagging system, Roomstyler does not seem pay any attention to it anymore, even leaving in obvious photographs.  

Theadora over 1y ago
Theadora - over 1y ago

Photographs were in previous competitions.

Theadora over 1y ago

Thanks for pointing those out Theodora.  My take on the whole flagging issue.  I think it was a good idea.  But sadly I have seen very few removed.  I've seen a lot of people come and go over the past years and I can not help but wonder why.  No one likes unfairness and in my opinion, not removing rooms that do not meet the criteria basically makes the contests seem like a waste of time. When you start comparing apples to oranges (those that meet the criteria vs those that don't).  If it was a perfectly world we wouldn't have had this problem in the first place.  But it's not and we did and several people were hoping RS would do their part and remove the ones that did not meet the criteria, but all too often that does not seem to be the case. In my opinion, perhaps rather than requiring a set number of flags before it is even looked at, maybe anything that receives a flag could be looked at and perhaps add a comment box when flagging as to why the individual flagged it.  Then it becomes more obvious why the flag and even though it may be one flag it is not just a random flag....there was a reason that did not meet the description.  I still enjoy the creativity, but sadly the fun seems to be disappearing with RS not doing their part (again just my opinion)

Theadora - over 1y ago

@Laura,

My take on this is that our designs are there for Floorplanner/Roomstyler to use whichever way they see fit and the competitions are a good way to sort out the best ones. I could be wrong but I think the rest don't really matter much so why spend manpower on policing?

Theadora over 1y ago
MandyB84 - over 1y ago

I assumed it would be up to Light Human Hotels to choose the winner?

MandyB84 over 1y ago

Since the voting started later, I had thought the same thing.

EDW - over 1y ago

i am new on here and really disappointed i was not able to enter my room as i thought the time stated as remaining on the contest was the time you had to submit your entry - i did not realise the countdown included voting time... 

i think a clearer indication would be helpful 

EDW over 1y ago

@EDW usually the last 3 days of any contest are voting times.  This one actually gave people more time because it was the last 24 hours.  However, as a general rule of thumb it is best to get your design in before the last 3 days.

EDW - over 1y ago

thank you for the clarification laura, much appreciated! i will keep this in mind for future projects! 

however i do think this is misleading and confusing - time to submit should be time to submit and it should be stated as that: time remaining for submissions 

and then indicate the voting time 

EDW over 1y ago

I'm sure several might agree.  But it has been this way for quite some time and many of us have simply gotten used to it.

Daisy320 - over 1y ago

Congrats to the top winners. So many different interpretations of this. Very interesting! 

Daisy320 over 1y ago
bgref - over 1y ago

Omg congrats too all!! I'm so excited for everyone who gets a real hotel room!!! And good job to everyone that tried saw some very cool and unique designs.

bgref over 1y ago
bgref - over 1y ago

Also I just wondered how will people know if there hotel room actually gets created? Will they just have to visit the website ? 

bgref over 1y ago
Theadora - over 1y ago

Looks like MandyB84's design was the company's choice. Congrats to both MandyB84 and Liu Kovac, awesome designs! :)

Theadora over 1y ago
bgref - over 1y ago

Yay!!! Congrats to them!!!

bgref over 1y ago
David - over 1y ago

Hey all, the text below is from our friends over at Light Human Hotel:

First of all I would like to really thank all to participated in this contest. We had a lot of difficulty to choosing a design because we saw all details and we also looked at others work done by all of you in others contest.

We are impressed by your dedication and it is clear that all of you are doing what you do by pleasure and not for obligation. This is what we call a true collaborative spirit.

Our winner is the one below by Mandyb84:

We also very much like the designers who got voted up by the Roomstyler community. So for the choice of LHH she will obviously have the name on our website and social media and in the hotel where one of the rooms will be replicated. According to the time we will have to develop the project, we will decide in which hotel the design will be used. We will inform you as soon as possible.

Once again thank you very much to all.

Warm Regards

David over 1y ago
David - over 1y ago

And another thank you:

For 14 days I was here with you and I did not want the contest to end. You are all inspiring! I am absolutely proud, grateful and happy with all the participants, I know how hard it is to do what you did.

Each one has the merit of the effort and the time that you dedicated to us, and I can only thank, thank you all so much! You all are amazing!

Sincerely yours, 

Catia Sintinella

(One of the founders of LHH)

David over 1y ago
starsector - over 1y ago
Congratulations, Mandy!!  And to all the gorgeous designers on our favorite site :)
starsector over 1y ago