Back to ForumBack to top
Nico Langeveld - 1 year ago
Contest - Open Waiting Space

Feel free to talk about things regarding this contest in here.

Nico Langeveld 1 year ago
15 replies
Madge2017 - 1 year ago

"Design a large open space that is meant for passing short periods of time. You can find these spaces for instance in a museum or lobby of a city hall. Use minimal objects and make it inviting and fun / interesting for the time you're waiting."

Nico, I just wanted to be sure I understand, as sometimes we all have different perceptions of what phrases mean.  When you say, "large open space" and "waiting" are you referring to inside or outdoor spaces?  Also, do you mean a lobby-type area as opposed to a food court-type area?  A sitting area as opposed to a space you would travel through on your way to a main area?  A more formal space as opposed to a casual area?  Or perhaps any and all of these?

Sorry if I appear dense, but I remember the living room contest and being surprised that while in the US we see the living room as a casual seated family area with a TV, many people overseas see the living area as any area the family meets together (kitchen, living room, dining room).  I just wanted to get the terms cleared up before many people worked much on their entries.  Thanks!

Madge2017 1 year ago
Phospective - 1 year ago

Hi Madge,

The reason why many overseas people see the living room as including the kitchen, living room and dining room is because their houses/appartments are often much smaller.  I live in the Netherlands and my house is a typical example.  I have a smallish kitchen  which leads straight out the back garden (no room for a kitchen table) and the  living room of a round  7m by 3.5m ( 22 feet11 inches by 11 feet 5. inches)  contains  two sofas, tv and wall cabinets, a bookshelf,  my computer table and a dining  room table and chairs.    Its interesting  to compare.  Because of the size difference I find it sometimes frustrating when people make big rooms because  for me it  means unrealistic or a having few million euros (I wish)

Friendly Greetings Phospective.  

Phospective 1 year ago

Well this is quite interesting actually. We're a dutch based company and therefor see and experience spaces differently than people from other companies. To put interior design contests up for an international public let's us learn what makes us typical. For instance indeed how we experience the size of a room. We need to be careful in formulating the contest description as Madge points out very well.

Regarding this contest: The type of space I mean is not an actual defined space, the idea is that several types of spaces could fit this description. Try to make it fit the description as good as you yourself think it would fit. It can be outdoor or indoor or even better something in between. As far as it should be open: It should not be a small room or narrow corridor. You should not experience this space as a place where you would stay for a long time or for some other purpose like a bedroom, but as a place to wait for something.

And don't forget the last sentence: "Use minimal objects and make it inviting and fun / interesting for the time you're waiting."

Lol I wrote companies in my first sentence but meant countries of course.

Madge2017 - 1 year ago

Phospective and Nico, thank you for your explanations.  I often forget (since most write in English here) that we are a global community.  Also, I am guilty of "placing" everyone in a home similar to mine, small by US standards... 1,000 sq ft., three bedrooms, one bath, living room, kitchen with a dining table, for two parents and three adult children who are college-aged .  I absolutely drool over some of the rooms here, thinking as Phospective said, that they are not realistic, but thinking how luxurious it would be to have a bathroom with open space and both a tub and shower or a kitchen with a breakfast nook and many cabinets!

I am looking forward to seeing how this "large open space" is interpreted by the rest of the community!

Madge2017 1 year ago
Phospective - 1 year ago

Hi Madge, 

I'm  currently designing my dream home  with RoomStyler and it keeps getting bigger.  I think I  get frustrated because I would like to push out a few walls of my real house,  add a sliding door  and redecorate every few months.  

Phospective 1 year ago
Lifandus - 1 year ago

Can these open waiting spaces be outside as well? Or must they remain indoors?

Lifandus 1 year ago
Interiors by Laura - 1 year ago

@ lifandus per Nico, it looks like it could be either. 

P_O_F Interiors - 12 months ago

Hello Im trying to upload my work has uploads ended as it says that Competition ends in 2 days so I am a little confused.

I saw that uploading was available yesterday.

P_O_F Interiors 12 months ago
Interiors by Laura - 12 months ago

the last 3 days of a competition is voting.  Once voting has started then no more entries can be entered

Interiors by Laura 12 months ago
Teri Dawn - 12 months ago

Is anyone noticing the trend of the immature ones entering contests with incomplete rooms?  Some of them have up to 4 votes. 

Teri Dawn 12 months ago
Interiors by Laura - 12 months ago

There's always the option to flag rooms.  But I have noticed that many people do not do that because the rooms are still there when it comes time to vote.  The unfairness of the voting has long been an issue.  There are several excellent rooms that virtually go unnoticed or don't get the attention they deserve.

Interiors by Laura 12 months ago
P_O_F Interiors - 12 months ago

Thank you so much for notifying me of this.

P_O_F Interiors 12 months ago
Teri Dawn - 12 months ago

So true Interiors by Lau...

Teri Dawn 12 months ago
Daisy320 - 12 months ago

Congrats to the winners....this was interesting. 

Daisy320 12 months ago