Back to ForumBack to top
Nico Langeveld - 10 months ago
Contest - Nighttime Garden

Feel free to talk about this contest in here.

Nico Langeveld 10 months ago
57 replies
starsector - 10 months ago

Just FYI:  since this contest brief requires changing the light toggle to the NIGHT setting, please be aware that scenery does not render if using Photorealistic/Iray on NIGHT mode.

starsector 10 months ago
Daisy320 - 10 months ago

I experienced this in the Italian Pizzeria design. Then I read in a thread on photorealistic render that they instead did day setting (on lowest setting possible) and then it worked for both lighting and scenery. Just an FYI. If there is another secret to doing it, any input from Roomstyler would be appreciated since I know the program is continually being improved and updated. That thread was from a year ago that I finally found a solution. :) 

Daisy320 10 months ago
starsector - 10 months ago

Hi Daisy, I saw your post in the Pizzeria thread and left a message that I'd post about here.  Thanks for the heads up since I was going to IRAY my Nighttime garden, lol!  

Unfortunately, the low Day setting would not be appropriate for this contest since it's suppose to be on Night Mode.

For those who want to render in IRAY, the only workaround the scenery problem in Night Mode would be to put your scenery on a room wall as Art.  Depending on the layout and the angle of view, the wall height may have to be really high to prevent seeing the top edge of the 'wall scenery'.  hth

starsector 10 months ago
Daisy320 - 9 months ago

Well, frankly, I'm afraid to fool with it now because I couldn't keep the scenery with all the lights when in night mode. I'm afraid of screwing it all up now  .. . so it is what is, unfortunately. 

Daisy320 9 months ago
Daisy320 - 9 months ago

Well, I made a copy and tried the idea with the scenery. Scenery just isn't looking right that way....so I'm just leaving it. I have a beautiful design, I think, and i tried to do it with night mode. That didn't work. So, this alternative comes as close as I can get while keeping my scenery. Thanks. 

Daisy320 9 months ago
Lilaah - 9 months ago

I noticed some of the designs in this contest are using photographs not just for the background scenario... I mean, some are 90% photographs... I think it's okay since it's hard to match photographs and walls, objects and stuff, but for a contest maybe it feels unfair? (90% photograph means you've worked only on 10% of your design). 

There are really beautiful designs in this contest though. 

I'm sorry about bothering you guys with this comment >.<

Lilaah 9 months ago
ylenialeman - 9 months ago

ylenialeman 9 months ago
Interiors by Laura - 9 months ago

hmmm, I'm seeing several designs that are not using night settings.

Interiors by Laura 9 months ago

Once again no attempt made to remove the rooms that used daylight setting. 

Theadora - 9 months ago

Yup, and I made the mistake of trusting some long time members to do the right thing and voted for them - only to find out after the fact that their designs were daylight. My bad - I'll have to be even more careful in future.

Theadora 9 months ago

sadly, some of what I considered to be the top designers are some of the ones indeed using daylight.  Which probably means that from the start the voting is already unfair.  As you indicated even you voted for some of them.  And RS still does nothing about it.  Removing the designs after the fact does not transfer votes to more deserving people that might have gotten votes had the designs been removed before voting began.

Theadora - 9 months ago

Totally agree...

Theadora 9 months ago
hauser - 9 months ago

Last week and next week are holidays here in nothern europe . 

hauser 9 months ago
Theadora - 9 months ago

Wrong, get your facts straight hauser.

Theadora 9 months ago

I am not from Europe but some countries name their own holiday (I think).  Perhaps they are making a new holiday.....Harry just got married, so maybe they are going to celebrate for 2 weeks ;)

Theadora - 9 months ago

Public holiday in the Netherlands  = Whitsun weekend, May 20 and 21st.

Theadora 9 months ago
hauser - 9 months ago

School Holidays 28.4.-6. May in the Netherlands , in many european countries until end of May possible = "Pfingsferien";  this Monday "Pfingstmontag" legal holiday - also in the netherlands. In many countries in europe 1. Mai legal holiday - this year on Thuesday = "Brückentag" for longer holidays.

hauser 9 months ago
Theadora - 9 months ago

@hauser. Pfingstmontag is Whitsun Weekend or Pentecost in English. 

I don't know why you mention people's vacation/school holidays, they are not public/legal holidays requiring businesses to be closed.

Theadora 9 months ago
hauser - 9 months ago

RS  is a company with 25 employees. You can count the ones responsible for the forum and the contests with two fingers. RS is a startup with young employees, they´ve got families, children and the sun is shining - this is the best time of the year here in europe for holiday. It´s our summer. 

hauser 9 months ago
Theadora - 9 months ago

So Roomstyler staff will be taking turns going on holidays, it happens all over the world in summertime. What's your point?

Theadora 9 months ago
starsector - 9 months ago

It's spring/summer here in the U.S., too, as is all of the northern hemisphere :) 

A bit of trivia: The coldest temperature ever recorded in the lower 48 states was -70ºF below zero (which, on the Fahrenheit scale, means it was actually 102 degrees below freezing !!)  That record low temp was right here in my home state of Montana in 1954. The record high in Montana is 117º degrees in 1937.  Fortunately, those are outliers. Average high temp is a balmy 58ºF, and average low is 32ºF.

starsector 9 months ago

3 of the top ten used 'day' setting.  Once again another contest where there was no effort to remove rooms that did not follow the contest directions

Daisy320 - 9 months ago

Congrats to Starsector and other top winning designs....so much great creativity and competition on this website. Makes me strive to get better every time. It's an honor to come up second with such talent in the contest. Congrats to all! 

Daisy320 9 months ago
Inna_Inas - 9 months ago

@Interiors by Laura,  yes you're right. Some design were made with day setting, but I think designers used it to keep the scenery visible, cuz night mode leaves  black background. Besides the lighting was adjusted like nighttime light (without sun rays or etc.) and the scenery was fitted to nighttime garden theme! Which is why I think that was not rules breaking! 

Inna_Inas 9 months ago

If the contest had of been moderated like it should, your design should not have even been permitted.  The contest called for night mode and you still opted to use daylight setting.  You even acknowledged that fact above in this thread.  So if you consider winning based on blatantly breaking the rules, then yes congratulations. However, I consider it an absolute insult to all those that did follow the rules.  Not to mention the 39 people that failed to follow the rules and voted for rooms that used the night mode.  There was a time I admired all your designs.  But when you think you are above the rules, well I have lost any respect I ever had for you or your work.  Sorry....just being honest.  People say it is just a game.  But is this the way you live the rest of your life?  Or are people living double lives?  Because if the dishonesty on this site speaks for people's lives away from here, it is no wonder this world is so messed up.

Inna_Inas - 9 months ago

Well you can press remix on my design and  you will be surprised as I did NOT use day mode! I just wrote, what I think  about that.  I agree, that designers should meet the requirements of the contest and read the description to it. But I feel to much fury in your comments and the only thing I can say -  don't take everything so close to heart!  People come here to relax and distract from routine life. So don't create bad atmosphere in here!  If you think someone does not deserve to win then don't vote and flagg his design!    Have a nice day 

Inna_Inas 9 months ago
Theadora - 9 months ago

It amazes me how hypocritical some people get when it suits them.

Daisy 320 stated in the Balcony re-design: 

"I am just now reading through all of this. My design, as much as I like it, doesn't comply so I'm going to take it out on my own. :) But yes, I see most of them don't either. ;) Sorry, everyone."

and  "I pulled mine when I realized it did not really comply....and I flagged many others."

Since the whole idea for this contest was to use the night setting Daisy320's (2nd), Barnigondi's (3rd) and Evahassing's (8th) designs should (alsnog) be removed. 

Rossella63's design is set to private so no way of knowing if it followed the brief.

Theadora 9 months ago

But they will get the votes every time because of who they are.  Not because they follow the rules.  Look, nearly 40 people voted for Daisy. 101 votes between the 3 of them.  And yes, agree very hypocritical.  I have no doubt they probably flag other designs, but when the tables are turned they think it is ok.  The adults on this site should be setting an example.  There are far too many youngsters on this site.  Sadly the only thing they are being taught is that it is ok to cheat when it serves one's own purposes and honesty means nothing.  I would never allow my daughter on here, because this site seems to be extremely lacking when it comes to morals

Theadora - 9 months ago

Sad but true...

Theadora 9 months ago

Next contest is a home theater.  I am thinking about a desert oasis with a movie screen.  Stick in  a few cars for a drive-in.  I should win, since rules mean nothing ;)

Orionaute - 9 months ago

I am completely with you Theadora and others who point cheaters. I feel upset because I will have to cancel my follows for them (as I really appreciate their work)... I tried hard to follow rules this time - in past sometime I was just joking trying to have a reaction from RoomStyler (and MyDeco) lol.

Now I never count on them but need to trust designers I follow... Too bad for you and me - if you cheat here and never recognise it, this chapter is end  :-((

Orionaute 9 months ago
Daisy320 - 9 months ago

Theodora, I just saw your comments and while I refrain from entering into these banters, I cannot do so this time since you have chosen to name personally. For your information,  I tried the night setting multiple times and kept losing my scenery, spending my credits, and getting only black screen instead. I addressed this on the Pizzaria contest. It's not my fault that the program is imperfect. I was not "cheating" and I do not appreciate your comments or the fact that you singled me out personally as an "example". I have been nothing but nice and supportive on these forums, never getting insulting or personal with anyone.  That defeats the entire purpose of being on this program. I enjoy this program and the friends I have come to know on it. I do this for enjoyment, nothing more. I have the greatest respect for so many of the designers on this program whether they are professionals or not. I don't care who has credentials and who doesn't. There is a lot of talent and creativity on this website and I find it to be a wonderful place to learn and express my creativity. I started designing on it as I was recovering from cancer and I was so thrilled to discover it. What I do NOT find enjoyable is what has started to develop on these forum discussions.  I won't be participating in any of these forum discussions anymore. Instead of being supportive and helpful venues, they have turned into formats to complain, whine and criticize. This is supposed to be fun. I think some people are taking it way too seriously. We don't win money on this website. We don't get jobs on this website. We don't earn anything but accolades and compliments. We just have fun being creative. It's a community of creative, talented people. I learned from more skilled designers and I take the time to coach other beginners along when they ask. I simply enjoy the creativity and the community I have come to know.  That's all I am interested in.  Calling me a "cheater" is simply beyond the pale. Singling me out the way you did was unnecessary and spiteful. I'm done with the forum discussions. I will continue to design for my own pleasure, to enter contests, to vote for and support other designers, but I won't be on these forums. They are not positive, encouraging discussions anymore. Signing off, Daisy320. 

Daisy320 9 months ago
lydiaenderlebell - 9 months ago

Just read Daisy's comments (and consequently previous dialogue between a number of designers above), and I must agree with her. I have been on this forum on very rare occasions so far, and it seems this particular forum here has taken on a degree of viciousness that is very, very deplorable and which I find extremely disturbing. In  any  contest, there are always personal likes and dislikes on the part of the judges involved, and contestants need to know and accept that. I majored in journalism and minored in design, and after following my first love as my main occupation, I was delighted to find this site on which I can use the creativity I applied in my minor as a hobby.

BTW,  I do find the comment of the  "ID wannabes" etc.  as disturbing as the criticism here, if not downright demeaning to a lot of people, especially the very young, who are given the opportunity on this site to experiment with their potential, which I think is wonderful. 

lydiaenderlebell 9 months ago
Theadora - 9 months ago

@Daisy320

If you had used HD or 4K render on night setting instead of Photorealistic HD render, you would have followed the brief and you would have gotten my vote.

The ONLY requirement for this contest was to use the night setting, designs that did not follow the brief should have been removed.

Theadora 9 months ago
Theadora - 9 months ago

Btw, Starsector gave you a solution at the top of this thread but you chose not to use it:

"Unfortunately, the low Day setting would not be appropriate for this contest since it's suppose to be on Night Mode.

For those who want to render in IRAY, the only workaround the scenery problem in Night Mode would be to put your scenery on a room wall as Art. Depending on the layout and the angle of view, the wall height may have to be really high to prevent seeing the top edge of the 'wall scenery'. hth"

Theadora 9 months ago

I'm sorry, but everyone was under the same restrictions.  So for one person to say it does not work for me, so I am going to do what I want is wrong.  I don't care how beautiful the design may have been.  It was the restrictions that were given to us, and the majority of the designers saw fit to create designs that fit the restraints that were given to us.

I find it strange that the three self-confessed "real" designers here get the most upset over what seems to have been a problem for Daisy, who, judging from the above dialogue had absolutely no intention to "cheat"(the night setting, by the way, was for me a problem as well. I had a hard time making the "night" design finally work, which seemed to have happened by sheer accident. In addition, I experience a number of other problems, including weird renditions of designs I re-render), and who usually always plays by the rules. So, this one time she seems to have had a problem that she tried to correct in order to receive the result the contest was all about - a night time garden. Perhaps we should ask the management if the night tockle was indeed more important than the "Night time garden" design,  since you get so upset about this.

Orionaute, I am disappointed in you for labeling a designer in RS who makes an unintended mistake a "cheater" when obviously this was not the intention by Daisy at all.  This kind of language and accusation will only increase the mean spirited nature that these forums are increasingly developing.

And if the three of you "real" designers , (Theadora, Interiors by Laura, and TTD ) want to show true professionalism, endeavor to be the top winners yourself, and instead of so harshly  judging and denigrating others be ready to help and inspire and exercise your criticism in a positive way. Everyone here ought to take an example by Starsector's behavior, who is nothing but kind and helpful to everyone and ALL.   I also applaud Inna-Inas, who reminds you above to remove the fury you show on this page. As I read Daisy's comments that she started with RS during her cancer treatment, and remember another RS designer, who is in a wheelchair, I agree with Inna, people come here to relax and escape their cares for a while. So the only way one seems to be able to do that is not to visit the forum pages anymore.

Correction: "Toggle" instead of "tockle".

but it was not an unintended mistake.  "Well, I made a copy and tried the idea with the scenery. Scenery just isn't looking right that way....so I'm just leaving it. I have a beautiful design, I think, and i tried to do it with night mode. That didn't work. So, this alternative comes as close as I can get while keeping my scenery. Thanks."   The reason it did not work was because she made the decision to do an iray and indeed the scenery does not work with that option.  However, she had the choice of doing a regular render or even opting for an HD render.  Either one which could and would have worked with the night settings.  She and she alone made the decision that she did not have to follow the rules and that she could enter as she so fit and make her own rules simply because it did not work for her.  Yes, I may be a professional, but first and foremost I am a Christian.  I live my life according to the teachings of the Bible....that includes things such as honesty and truth and not breaking laws/rules simply because I feel they do not apply to me. I see a generation of children growing up before us that have lost all respect for anything and anyone because todays adults are not teaching them these things.  They are teaching them that it is ok to make your own rules in life and anyone that stands in your way you can bully around as you see fit.  And people set back and say nothing about it and condone it by saying it is the way of the world.  It is NOT the way of the Bible and if people don't take a stand for what is right, then this world is going to continue to spiral out of control.

OMG! Do you have nothing better to do with your time?

I WILL NOT REPLY to any of your answers. I am not even bothering to read your comment above.

Theadora - 9 months ago

@Lydia, 

I disclose that I have I.D. credentials and all of a sudden I need to show real professionalism by endeavouring to be a top winner myself?! Really? What an odd remark.

I have no interest in winning contests, am not the competitive type - what I have an interest in though is fair contests and this is not it.

Theadora 9 months ago
TTD - 9 months ago

I am not exactly sure how I got included into this discusion without even taking part in it.

Anyways, as per my comments in other discusions I apologized as realised that Theodora took my comments as ofensive and that was neither my intention or goal, especially as other members might have took it so as well.  However,  Lydia, you spoke in a very rude and sarcastic tone to Theadora, Laura and myself and I think you should also apologize for that.

We all make mistakes and say things we should not say - true - but realizing where you did wrong and saying sorry should also be something we all do.

In RS contests, discusions or in real life - wrong is wrong.

Anyway, enough of me. All the best to all of you!

TTD 9 months ago

There are a lot of strong feelings about the various contest problems.  And as individuals, we look at it from different perspectives with different priorities.

Yet, it is possible to have opposing viewpoints and priorities, while still treating everyone with dignity and respect.   None of us will always do that perfectly, of course, but it's a worthy goal.

starsector 9 months ago

I've been thinking a lot this past couple weeks about members concerns of entries that don't meet the Brief criteria.

I think we can all agree there are multiple reasons for this.  A few off the top of my head, cultural differences like the time we discovered that 'living room' often includes the dining area in some cultures, but not others.  Other reasons include non-English speakers/readers; new members who as yet don't have the hang of reading the details of a Brief; people who simply want to showcase a piece rather that compete; and on very rare occasions, some trollish behavior, etc.

My preference is still to encourage/educate Brief-matching entries, rather than so much focus on removing ones that don't match. 

1) Maybe the Briefs could be constructed using 'bullet points' rather than sentences, to better emphasize the key requirements? (I was thinking about the Grey Living contest where so many inadvertently missed the words 'dining table').

2) I'd like to suggest again that flagged designs are sent an encouraging notice to the member to re-read the Brief, make adjustments, and re-enter their design before the contest closes.

3) To be more supportive of our non-English speaking members, I recommend the Brief description area on the contest page include a link to Google Translate, programmed to automatically copy the text of the Brief into the Translator, so the member only has to select their language preference. (after all, it must get tedious always copying catalog items and forum threads into the translator).

And separately, I'd really like to see some ways to encourage more, and responsible, voting.  Currently, there is no incentive to vote at all (less than half of the contestants vote), let alone vote responsibly based on the Brief.  And the ones who do try to vote responsibly, have to put a great deal of effort into their various methods of narrowing down the field.

starsector 9 months ago

very well spoken Starsector and thank you!!

kitty - 9 months ago

I must say as a long time member ( like Daisy I started on MyDeco over 10 years ago whilst undergoing cancer treatment) I feel dissapointed about the way votes are cast. 

I mainly  get only 1 vote, and in the grey room contest (as well as some others )I received not a single vote, although entries that were really WAY off brief got more votes than me.

It leaves a bad taste to be honest to see a room thats obviously unfinished or just so far off brief getting lots of votes.

I will still enter contests just in order to push myself to design to a brief as this is really a hobby for me it isn't my career.

But all I will say is that when the mydeco team voted for contests it felt way fairer.

i find it sad reading how everyone is bitching at each other 

again it didn't used to be like this. : (

kitty 9 months ago

Kitty, do have some suggestions on how to encourage more people to vote?  Currently, it seems less than half of the contestants vote, and perhaps only a few non-contestants vote at any given contest.  (this is easily figured if you count the total # of votes, divide by 10 votes each, and compare to the total number of entries~~though perhaps many do not realize they get 10 votes?)  I think if more people were voting, we would see a better vote spread.

starsector 9 months ago

Continuing with suggestions: to be more supportive and informative to new members, I'd like to see some kind of 'General Guidelines and Information' page created on the main contest page.

1) It should explain the concept of the Brief, and also explain the Flags and the potential for rooms being removed (and hopefully/ideally that an "Alert" would be sent if their design was flagged, please :).

2) It could explain about Remixes being blocked as well as those from Whitelabels (so many new members make a room only to be disappointed when encountering this block after-the-fact)

3) Include the information that entries must be submitted before the countdown hits '3 Days'; that voting starts on Day 3, and that all members get 10 votes to cast.

4) It should also include general guidelines about Template contests such as the spirit of these contests are to make'cosmetic rather than construction changes'.

Currently, none of these elements are explained anywhere except the occasional post on a forum thread when asked.

starsector 9 months ago

You really have put a lot of thought into this.  Most which has been mentioned at one point or another.  But you've done an excellent job @ putting everything together.  I am still hopeful that RS will read this thread.  More times than not, within days of the end of a contest the thread is bumped to the bottom.  However, this is still on top, which gives me hope that there is a reason and perhaps RS will look into this further.  Thank you again Starsector for putting all the ideas together....very much appreciated!!!

TTD - 9 months ago

@Starsector,

There should be more people like you. We should all learn from your constructive approach to problems. 

Thank you!

TTD 9 months ago
Theadora - 9 months ago

@ JeroenBekkers and Starsector,

I  agree with most of your points Starsector.

The biggest problem I see is the lack of interaction between members and Roomstyler.

So far none of the contests have been totally fair and even though JeroenBekkers comments on "Balcony Redesign" made me jump for joy I quickly realized it was all talk and no action.

"Catching up on all the discussions around contests. Sorry for the seemingly lack of involvement. Clearly some better monitoring and faster removal of flagged entries from our side would improve things. Just as making sure contest descriptions are not too complicated. @theodora. I'll discuss the "lock" button with Gert-Jan , not sure if this is easy to fix/reintroduce but I agree it would make things easier with template rooms."

I believe problems would be more easily solved if Roomstyler appointed a moderator.

Call me a pessimist, very little progress has been made since I joined in 2009. 

Theadora 9 months ago

Hi Theodora, I understand the frustration, I really do.  But after all this time, it doesn't seem likely they will consistently devote a position to moderation more than they already do.  

But even if they did, I don't think everyone would agree the contests would be 'totally' fair.  I'm not sure that's even possible, so I wouldn't have a bar that high.  Judging is always going to be subjective, even more so when cultural and generational differences are factored in.

All I'm asking is that members support some positive tools of education and respect for our members to balance out the more negative tools of flags, etc.  Even if we had a moderator, I think the above suggestions should be implemented.

starsector 9 months ago
Theadora - 9 months ago

@Starsector and JeroenBekkers

Since all your suggestions need Roomstyler's involvement I sincerely hope they take note and actually do something. 

I should not have used the word "totally" - nothing is perfect - but even if Roomstyler implemented only a few of your suggestions it would be a big improvement. :)

In 2008 Floorplanner.com started supporting 9 languages and were working on 8 more , The comments stop in 2015 so don't know whatever became of it.

I think this would be great for Roomstyler.

https://floorplanner.com/forum/83 

Theadora 9 months ago
Theadora - 9 months ago

I'm thinking volunteer translaters for the contest briefs. :)

Theadora 9 months ago

What a great way to encourage more membership involvement!  Love it!

starsector 9 months ago
NEVERQUITDESIGNIT - 9 months ago

congrats starsector!!!!

NEVERQUITDESIGNIT 9 months ago
jade61356 - 9 months ago

While I do not enter into contests, I do enjoy seeing the entries, and do vote.  I'm still, "new" here, as I've only been designing on RS for a year. I did come from another design app, that had contests, and we had the same problem with getting people to vote.. one thing I would suggest, is allowing the ones to enter, to vote on their own design. as no one wants to get 0 votes.. that's got to be terrible! Maybe there's a reason they can't, but that is something, that struck me, when I was seeing the end results.

jade61356 9 months ago