Back to ForumBack to top
Nico Langeveld - 1 year ago
Contest - Mezzanine apartment

Feel free to talk about things regarding this contest in here.

Nico Langeveld 1 year ago
29 replies
mz_little_bit - 1 year ago

How could you place a bed on top of a kitchen area?  I know there are pedestals.  But if you use them you can not directly align them with kitchen or you raise the kitchen at the same time.  So if you use a pedestal then it becomes over and behind.  Is there any option to be able to elevate furniture like wall items and perhaps use beam to create a second floor effect?

mz_little_bit 1 year ago
lydiaenderlebell - 1 year ago

If you check previous designs of other RS designers,you'll find your answers there

lydiaenderlebell 1 year ago
hauser - 1 year ago
hauser 1 year ago

ty hauser

mz_little_bit 1 year ago
Theadora - 1 year ago

Meggle's original:

Maheen Ashan's copy:

Should be removed from the contest.

Theadora 1 year ago
Theadora - 1 year ago

Oops!

Maheen Ashan's should be removed from the contest.

It is a copy of Meggle's.

Theadora 1 year ago
rfstarbuck - 1 year ago

I feel funny too when I see my designs being remixed and I am told or shown the remix... they could be shared externally as if they were that person´s design... anybody else feeling the same?

rfstarbuck 1 year ago
rfstarbuck - 1 year ago

I meant I am NOT told 

rfstarbuck 1 year ago
Ellie665 - 1 year ago

how do you change the ceiling height????and yes i agree with you rfstarbuck  i feel that it at least should be shared with the original  creator 

Ellie665 1 year ago
Ellie665 - 1 year ago

and yes Theadora Maheen Ashan's should be removed it is ever so slightly changed but you can still tell it is meggles copy

Ellie665 1 year ago
rfstarbuck - 1 year ago

Ellie to change the ceiling height you need to click on any wall, you will see the height and width pop up, so you can change it :)

rfstarbuck 1 year ago
Theadora - 1 year ago

@rfstarbuck and Ellie665

When someone makes a copy of your design you can get notified by Roomstyler. Go to "edit your profile" to select that option.

The copied design is private by default so whomever makes it public is well aware of it.

A copied design automatically shows who the original designer is at the bottom left of the design. This will only show when you enlarge the design so unfortunately copies often get likes when they don't deserve it because people don't bother to take a closer look.

Maheen Ashan is a different case though since he/she has gone through a lot of trouble copying Meggle's template/design. Used the same accessories and even the placement of art and furniture is the same - except for colour differences almost an exact copy.

Maheen Ashan has been on Roomstyler for over a year, has 227 rooms of which 47 public so I have to conclude that this was done intentional and not out of ignorance.

Theadora 1 year ago
kitty - 1 year ago

this should definitely  be removed... and I think every remixed design should not be given the option to be made public that way people would work harder to gain likes

and learn to work with the tool and develop their style its a very lazy way of designing..like painting by numbers.

kitty 1 year ago
Theadora - 1 year ago

I totally agree!

There was another copied template/design in the African touch contest by a longstanding member, very disappointing. I can't for the life of me understand why people think it's o.k. to do something like that...

Unfortunately there is no way for Roomstyler to know that these are copies unless people post the original and the copy on the contest forum thread and we flag the entry. Hopefully Roomstyler pays attention. 

Theadora 1 year ago

Hi Theodora thanks for the sharp observation. I withdrew the design from the contest, as well as some others that had nothing to do with a mezzanine

Theadora - 1 year ago

Thanks Nico, much appreciated! :) 

Theadora 1 year ago
Ellie665 - 1 year ago

Thank you Nico 

Ellie665 1 year ago

I'm sorry to keep asking questions.  I am confused. 

Design an high floor apartment in which several room functions are combined using a second level in the same room. Let yourself be inspired by this example. The style is determined heavily by the unique spacial layout. You have kitchen and dining space combined, with a bedroom in the top. This asks for smart use of interior elements. Consider for instance the wall mounted lamp in this room:

Is this about an upstairs or about combining several kinds of room into one space.  Also is it supposed to be over the kitchen area like in the example.  I'm asking because I am seeing upstairs rooms that are sealed off and/or seeing upstairs that are not even over the kitchen area.

Thank you for any further clarification

mz_little_bit 1 year ago
Theadora - 1 year ago

Hi there, the way I see it:

The example is meant for inspiration only - showing just one idea for a combination of several rooms in one open space. 

The brief states bedroom in the top but does not say where upstairs, it also does not tell us where to put the kitchen so it's up to us.

Hope this helps.

Theadora 1 year ago
rfstarbuck - 1 year ago

I didn't know the bedroom upstairs was mandatory.. I put it downstairs.. should I change it

rfstarbuck 1 year ago

Hi rfstarbuck, a bedroom upstares is not mandatory. That was part of the description of the example you can be inspired on. The brief is "Design a high floor apartment in which several room functions are combined using a second level in the same room." Good luck!

rfstarbuck - 1 year ago

I changed it a little bit anyways, but thanks Nico!

rfstarbuck 1 year ago
Orionaute - 1 year ago

For the copy you're talking up, I was one of them who put a heart. Theadora is telling me, so I'm coming here to put it out.

Where is the mistake? No advise that it is a copy (like habitually) and it is not an image!!! I dont understand. Thank for your lights!

Orionaute 1 year ago
Theadora - 1 year ago

Explanation mailed :) 

Theadora 1 year ago
lydiaenderlebell - 1 year ago

I can't get over how many, many wonderful Mezzanine designs there are! I am taking so much time admiring them that I don't get around doing a new one of my own.

lydiaenderlebell 1 year ago
New York Mets - 1 year ago

So, @lydiaenderlebell, I don't know how to get the pedestrial and how to raise that to the height I want. Can you explain it to me.

New York Mets 1 year ago

How do you get the second floor? Pls. someone help me! I started this last year but I'm still getting used to it!

New York Mets 1 year ago
Theadora - 1 year ago

@New York Mets

Click on: "Build room layout" (1st icon) click on  "Architecture" and type mezzanine in the search bar - the first two are adjustable in height.

or

Click on: "Furnish your room" (2nd icon) -  "Special purpose structures" where you will find several pedestals in different sizes.

It's ok to Remix other people's designs and take them apart to see how they were created. Suggestion: if you make a copy just keep them private. 

Hope this helps. :) 

Theadora 1 year ago

Thanks, @Theadora!!

Hope you do a great job on the contest!

New York Mets 1 year ago