Back to ForumBack to top
gbrowning - 1 month ago
Lounge / Office - how to fit it all in...

Hi All.  I'm back to ask for some a little more help from the wonderful designers here.  I've already used your ideas for 3 rooms in 2 different properties.  And I'm currently implementing one in a conservatory. 

This time it's my lounge / office / music-room.  Not a huge room, but I can get the existing furniture to fit by putting the Yamaha and desk in the corners as shown.  The layout feels pretty good in that it has a lounge zone, plus a nice view when playing piano or working at desk.   I'm wondering now:

- What colour scheme to go for (the hall floor leading in is light oak wood). Would grey sofas work? 

- I'm tempted to keep the new light oak floor running from Conservatory, through the hall, and into this lounge (it's currently carpeted)

- How to modernise the desk area zone

- What to put under the TV (it's currently standing on top of an old sideboard unit)

The room is in my dashboard - as "Living Room Version 2".  It should be public and editable for anyone kind enough to give me some ideas and inspiration. 

https://roomstyler.com/3dplanner?room_url=https://roomstyler.com/3dplanner/rooms/28239249/28239272 

Thank you!  Grant. 

gbrowning 1 month ago
22 replies
Theadora - 1 month ago

Hi Grant,

Here's an idea for your office, lots of storage, hope you like it. :)

Theadora 1 month ago
gaietta_aa - 1 month ago

Hi :)
Here's an idea for your office :

https://roomstyler.com/rooms/28339079/living-room-version-2-living-room

gaietta_aa 1 month ago
gaietta_aa - 1 month ago

gaietta_aa 1 month ago
gbrowning - 1 month ago

Thank you both very much for the ideas.  I like the suggestions.  The hard part is working out how to make the desk area look good - and shelving has helped in the pictures for sure.  

gbrowning 1 month ago
pingbubbles - 1 month ago

for the desk area, i modernised it with the metal storage ideas and added a storage/seating area where you can put books or plants. 

hope you like it! 

pingbubbles 1 month ago

oh! i think the first part of my reply didnt appear. 

anyway, here is my idea. 

I modernised it with more white furniture and used a yellow and blue colour scheme. 

not sure if i could paint the walls, so left as it is but i think a white/light grey wall would suit the design better. 

pingbubbles 1 month ago

for the desk area, i modernised it with the metal storage ideas and added a storage/seating area where you can put books or plants.

hope you like it! 

pingbubbles 1 month ago
gbrowning - 1 month ago

Thank you for the idea pingbubbles.  An interesting move to switch the desk to that side wall.  I will try that out this evening and see how it feels.   Agree that a change in the colour of the walls would be recommended.   Would a 'feature wall' colour work I wonder?

gbrowning 1 month ago
chloe_mccarty - 29d ago

do you want all the same furniture in the design in out remixes?

Theadora - 29d ago

Hi Grant, 

I agree with pingbubbles that the desk is better off on the other wall. This way you can still look outside but the light won't bother when you're working and you can keep an eye on the t.v. too. 

It's a good idea to continue the oak flooring into this room.

I kept the warm beige walls because they go well with the oak floor and added a grey accent wall.  

There is a bookcase behind the easy chair. 

Theadora 29d ago
gbrowning - 28d ago

Ah very nice.  It's all starting to come together now in the layout and the colour scheme.   Amazing how small changes can have a major effect on the whole feel of the room.  Thank you all.    

gbrowning 28d ago
gbrowning - 28d ago

Chloe - yes I would need all the same major items.  The room is used daily as an office, and then in the summer it is mostly an "evening lounge" for TV viewing. And the piano lives here too.  

gbrowning 28d ago
chania - 28d ago
chania 28d ago
chania - 28d ago
chania 28d ago
gbrowning - 26d ago

Chania - thank you for the ideas.  Also a very nice colour scheme.  Different layout and more food for thought!  I am currently trying the desk in the 'pingbubbles' position and it does work.  Seems to create more flow to the room.

gbrowning 26d ago
pingbubbles - 15d ago

hey gbrowning! glad my suggestion has helped (: anyway, yes i agree that there should be a feature wall. here's one with a grey feature wall.  the other walls are also slightly less yellow but otherwise arent that much different from the existing. sorry for the late reply as havent had much time to use roomstyler to try out the diff colour schemes.  

pingbubbles 15d ago
pingbubbles - 15d ago

I also tried a greyish blue feature wall but it may be a bit bold depending on your taste. hope it helps!

pingbubbles 15d ago
gbrowning - 15d ago

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm armed with about 7 different tester pots from dulux, so it will be interesting to see what works with the light in the actual room.

gbrowning 15d ago
Theadora - 15d ago

Good luck and have fun! :)

Theadora 15d ago
millerfam - 15d ago

Here is a simple, modern version:

I hope you like them! :)

millerfam 15d ago
millerfam - 15d ago
Second view!

millerfam 15d ago
pingbubbles - 13d ago