Back to ForumBack to top
Contest - Deck and Pond

Feel free to talk about things regarding this contest in here.

79 replies
LohanR - 2m ago

Can Send me a wooden floor template?

LohanR 2m ago

You made ready made deck items?

anchajaya - 2m ago

I think LohanR means if there is a template for this contest? We can enter our own rooms for this one? :0) Thank you Nico and RS team for getting everything back to order with the added new perspectives. It has been horrible for me with all the computer updates. WWW 30th birthday hit us pretty hard, even schools and phone companies are being effected over here. 

anchajaya 2m ago

No template room in this contest indeed. Decking options in architectural catergory and some in Garden & Outdoor.

Tzed Design - 2m ago

Does the pond need to be user created or can it be a scenery image?

LohanR - 2m ago

to make pond, first search for water. then add stones to the edge

LohanR 2m ago
Theadora - 2m ago

The brief says "Design a garden with a pond". 

I assume that means you are to build both from scratch - the material is available on Roomstyler. 

Theadora 2m ago
Tzed Design - 2m ago

Thank you for the responses, LohanR & Theodora! I appreciate it.  I wanted to make sure I was following the rules. I'll design the pond :-) 

I wonder if the "morning sun" is a requirement or can it be any time of night and day.

LohanR - 2m ago

@lydiaenderlebell 

It Can be at any time of the day

LohanR 2m ago
LB1981 - 2m ago

There are so many entries that haven't actually built the pond aspect of the design - they've used the background image to meet the brief of there being a pond.

Please can we get clarification on whether or not we actually have to use the items in Roomstyler to build the pond or if we can just have it in a background image?

LB1981 2m ago
Theadora - 2m ago

Looks like nobody is home.....I thought things would change now that Debora is looking after the contests...guess I was wrong....

Theadora 2m ago

Looking at the entries, I see too many that are using background images of lakes and ocean views as ponds instead of designing a true pond, which is stated in  the requirement.

Theadora - 2m ago
Theadora 2m ago
Theadora - 2m ago

@Debora Bittencourt/Nico/David.

"Hello everyone! My name is Debora and I'll be helping all of you in the upcoming Floorplanner / Roomstyler contests. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions related to the contest, okay? I will be more than happy to help! ;)"

Debora, it would be nice if you could take the time to read our contest forum posts and respond in a timely fashion to our requests for clarifications.

As previously mentioned, in this particular contest there are a lot of designs that don't seem to meet the brief (i.e. swimming pools, scenery depicting large bodies of water which are not ponds and scenery incorporating ponds).

Since these contests have a time limit I'm sure it will be appreciated if you could respond a.s.a.p. It might be helpful if a link showing examples could be posted with every brief.  Thank you.  

Theadora 2m ago

Hi Theodora and other contenders. Thank you for flagging. We removed a lot of entries that didn't meet the description; mainly because they didn't have a pond, but either a lake, a beach, an ocean or a swimming pool : ). That's a pity because I know you put a  lot of effort in your designs. Just to be clear: a pond is small piece of water in garden. Some entries didn't have a deck. That's a wooden plateau.

Theadora - 2m ago

Hi Nico

You might want to read up on what is considered a garden pond.

Whisky barrels, tubs and other above ground containers are also considered to be ponds (vijvers).

Lol, my bathtub design was kicked out, it should have been perfectly acceptable - see Pinterest link.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/511228995182568472/?lp=true  

Theadora 2m ago
LB1981 - 2m ago

Thank you for the clarification Nico!

@Theadora, thanks for your replies - it does get very frustrating entering these contests lol. In terms of your bath tub entry - maybe the reason is the contest brief says a 'large pond'? I don't know but that's all I could think of. I loved the bath tub pond though, I would love one in real life =)

LB1981 2m ago
Theadora - 2m ago

@LB1981

Mmmmm, you're right about the "large pond" description in the brief. 

Nico's above comment "A pond is a small piece of water in garden." is contradictory though so I don't believe size was the problem. 

A large pond in my tiny garden wouldn't have looked very good...lol. 

Thanks for your compliment....ah well, ready for the next challenge ;)

Theadora 2m ago

hi theodora I can't remember kicking out any design of yours. feel free to submit it again, and I'll check if it meets the description. Indeed garden ponds are also put in barrels, bathtubs and other containers, you're absolutely correct and I may have overlooked it. Size is quite a relative thing, if your garden is small a small bathtub might fill a big part of your space of course.

Theadora - 2m ago

Thank you Nico - done. :)

Theadora 2m ago
Theadora - 2m ago

@Nico,

Sorry to bother you again. Designs that have ponds as part of the scenery photographs are still in the contest.

When you look at the designs that have ponds made from scratch it does not seem fair to these designers, they have put in an awful lot of work to create some incredible ponds.

I have flagged the ones that used pond photographs, there are quite a few - should I continue to do that or are they acceptable?

Theadora 2m ago
MOOG - 2m ago

how do you get backgrounds and no ceiling

MOOG 2m ago
MOOG - 2m ago

i mean the scenery i have never used this before

MOOG 2m ago
MOOG - 2m ago

somebody help meeee  ):

MOOG 2m ago
MOOG - 2m ago

theodora or nico ?however you are help me please!!!!

MOOG 2m ago
Theadora - 1 month ago

Hi MOOG

Here is a link to Roomstyler's Manual - scroll till you get to 3 Adding a view.

Best size to download is 1920 x 1080 or larger.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/media.eu.mydeco3d.com/media/manual/manual-en-2013-v1.pdf 

Here is Starsector's explanation on another Forum thread, it makes it a lot easier to understand. :)

"For Scenery, click on the Clipboard icon in the left panel, then the Photos tabs. Then grab an uploaded image with your cursor and drag it across the planner. As you do so, you should see the "Apply scenery" square icon at the top of your screen. Drop the scenery on that icon. Assuming it's dropped right, you should now Save your design with the green Photo button (you will not see the scenery in the little preview box). When the design has rendered, and you've refreshed your main image page, you should then see the scenery through the windows and opened door."

Theadora 1 month ago
Theadora - 1 month ago

Sorry MOOG I overlooked your first question. If you don't want the ceiling don't use a template when you start designing. You can open up (Remix) any design to see how others have done it. :) 

Theadora 1 month ago

i took a screenshot of  a lake but when i press apply scenery it doesnt show up. 

i read Theadora's post but now look:

??? what happened ? can you help me please.

mz_little_bit - 1 month ago

If you have walls, you would need to click on the walls to apply the image.  If you are wanting no walls then you would drag image to apply scenery to the outside (not the walls).  You need to make your room public so someone can look at it to better advise you.

mz_little_bit 1 month ago
MOOG - 1 month ago

how do you get rid of a ceiling

MOOG 1 month ago
MOOG - 1 month ago

how do you get rid of a ceilng

MOOG 1 month ago
MOOG - 1 month ago

plz help

MOOG 1 month ago
MOOG - 1 month ago

how do you get rid of ceilings?

MOOG 1 month ago
MOOG - 1 month ago

also what do you mean when u said dont use a template , what if u drew the walls yourself and then deleted them just leaving the floor and ceiling

MOOG 1 month ago
lovedsign - 1 month ago

@MOOG You cannot delete ceilings. If you don't want a ceiling, simply do not make a room in the first place. You can also open up other people's designs and play around with it to find out how they  did it. That's a good way to learn. Good luck!

lovedsign 1 month ago
aleya - 1 month ago

why can't I enter my design in the contest?

aleya 1 month ago
Sally Simpson - 1 month ago

I submited this entry to the Deck and Pond contest but I don't see it on the vote list:

Is it only me?

Sally Simpson 1 month ago
Bren123 - 1 month ago

Mine was removed too. >:          

Bren123 1 month ago
Too bad, Bren123, yours was one of my favourites :(

:(

Bren123 - 1 month ago

Thank you.  It wasn't indicated in the rules that we couldn't use a background image as a pond. So I do not understand. I hate using what little credits I get on something that gets removed.

Bren123 1 month ago
MOOG - 1 month ago

thnx(:

MOOG 1 month ago
Theadora - 1 month ago

The brief says "Design a garden with a pond". 

This  indicates that you have to design both the garden and the pond.

What I don't understand is why some designs that have used pond scenery as background have been removed and some have been left in - you either leave them all in or take them all out.

Theadora 1 month ago
MOOG - 1 month ago

it's kinda dumb    ()_()

('  .  ')

MOOG 1 month ago
Theadora - 1 month ago

@aleya

Once voting starts - 3 days before the official end of the contest - you can't submit a design anymore. 

Theadora 1 month ago

I'm disappointed.

There are some designs with a simple pond scenery as a background that have been accepted, and besides the background I used stuff to create the pond (stones, grass, etc).

But mine has been removed.

That is not fair.

(Sorry for my English)

Theadora - 1 month ago

I know, there are 14 left that have used Pond scenery. 

This would not have happened if Tzed Design's question at the top of the thread had been answered with a simple "yes" or "no". 

Theadora 1 month ago

I mean: the background I used as scenery WAS NOT a pond. It was a simple pic with water, and I designed the pond by using RS stuff.

Whatever, it's ok, but this doesn't seem fair to me.

Also, if RS or whover had organized the contest had posted on our designs when they were removed to let us know , and the reason, we could have ammended them to fit the rules, wich wasn't clear considering the amount of designs that have been removed.

Only 72 entries to be voted. Most contest have over 100 entries.

rasty - 1 month ago

Hello! Why aren't my design in the contests, i think are a lot of designs that are not there, why??

rasty 1 month ago
Theadora - 1 month ago

@rasty, read the whole forum thread.

Theadora 1 month ago

@Sally, you said you used RS material to build a pond, yet I don't see any water in your material list.  In addition, it is not RS responsibility to let everyone know why their image was not accepted.  It's up to the individual to read and understand the rules.  Saying everyone else did it is unacceptable also.  Rather I am thinking that too many people saw several others using images and therefore assumed it was acceptable.  However, that is not what the directions said. If people are willing to not follow the directions then they need to do so with the understanding that they stand the chance of having their design removed.

The fact is that there are designs that have used pond scenery as background which have been accepted.

As I said in my post above: it's ok, but this doesn't seem fair to me.

@mz_little-bit

You're right when saying I didn't use water from RS, but I did use stones, grass, etc. to design the pond.

There are designs with a simple water or pond scenery as background whithout stuff from RS (stones, grass, etc) that have been accepted.

It's weird.

I don't disagree with you.  RS should have decided what precisely was expected.  If background images of ponds were not acceptable, then all should have been removed.  Not just a few. 

ditto
Theadora - 1 month ago

Reading Nico's above clarification again he did state that the pond was supposed to be "in a garden" which would eliminate a lot of designs right there.

Theadora 1 month ago

"My pond" (the pond I designed by using some stones from RS) is in a garden (I used grass from RS to make the garden), as one can see in the design I posted above.

The only thing that I didn't use is water from RS. "My water" was in the pic I used as scenery.

(Sorry, my English is being horrible today)

Whatever, LOL

Inna_Inas - 1 month ago

The weirdest thing is that I've noticed some designs without a pond at all. (As background image or made by RS or even swimming pool) Nothing! 
To all designers, whose designs were removed, don't be sad! If you are not sure about a description of the contest, use the forum threads.
I'm sure there would be a lot of designs that don't follow the brief in future contests because each of us has own opinion and own vision how to follow the rules correctly. The only solution is to vote for those who you think did everything right. 
Don't forget it's all for fun, so don't get upset and enjoy it! 

Inna_Inas 1 month ago
matina1976 - 1 month ago

Δεν βλέπω το σχεδιασμό μου

matina1976 1 month ago
Sue Bonstra - 1 month ago

No , Sally Simpson you're not the only one that had there set removed. Mine was ... mine has a wooden deck is in front a longing with a background of a lake  and pebbles deck..

Sue Bonstra 1 month ago
GraceKathryn - 1 month ago

What a mess!  Now I feel bad because I used a water background on mine.  In the initial directions I didn't find it clear on having to build the pond from scratch.  Sorry there were so many designs removed, mine should have been one of them.

GraceKathryn 1 month ago

Don't feel bad, Grace. The mess with this contest is not your fault.

I'm pretty sure that many people who submited their designs didn't know that designing the pond from scratch was mandatory.

In fact some winners have used a simple pond scenery as background and they got votes because their designs are beautiful.

Ant this is what matters Imo :)

Theadora - 1 month ago

A mess indeed! 

That Daisy320's brilliant design ended up in 6th place whilst 3 designs that used photographs of ponds got more votes - it's a shame!

Theadora 1 month ago
Bren123 - 1 month ago

The rules need to be better detailed from now on with these contests and then none of this would be happening.

Bren123 1 month ago
JewelieRees714 - 1 month ago

I'm unsure how to make a deck?  I tried connecting railings, but still unable to install decking floor.  Also, is there any way to auto align items, such as deck railings. I eyeball them as evenly as possible but they are always off.  Snap to guide option?

Thanks, it's been fun learning!

JewelieRees714 1 month ago
lydiaenderlebell - 1 month ago

I usually don't complain, and I am happy that my design is with the first ten, but I think it is unfair that a design with a background body of water won first place, and all those of us who created an entire pond are somewhere in between. BTW, I thought I had seen a beautiful pond setting with a desert background. Does anyone know WHOSE it is . It seems to have disappeared, although it was beautiful and fit the criteria!!!

lydiaenderlebell 1 month ago
lydiaenderlebell - 1 month ago

Theadora, since you seem to have a personal dialogue relationship with Nico, I am asking you to suggest to Nico that in the  future winning designs that don't adhere to the criteria should be denied the credits they don't truly deserve. In addition, if two designs receive the same number of votes, BOTH or ALL of them who do, if they are in first place, should be considered winners and receive not only actually credits but recognition as winners. Let me know if you want to address these subjects with Nico, otherwise I'll bring them up.

lydiaenderlebell 1 month ago
Theadora - 1 month ago

@lydiaenderlebell

My position is that all designs not following the brief should be removed before voting starts. All we can do is encourage people to flag them and hope RS acts on it. RS can't very well deny credits - after the fact - to designs that have been left in a contest, either because they did not remove them or people did not flag them.

I suggest you start a new Forum thread to voice your opinion. There would be a better likelihood of RS reading it than tacking your comment onto an old thread.

I don't feel I have better access to RS staff than anybody else, perhaps it appears so because I'm a "squeaky wheel". :)   

Theadora 1 month ago
Theadora - 1 month ago

@lydiaenderlabell.

Or you can contact RS directly:

https://roomstyler.com/contact 

Theadora 1 month ago

The worst thing is that some designs fitting the rules with ponds designed from scrath (with RS water, stones, etc) were also removed.

An example: this one, by Sue Bonstra:

Theadora - 1 month ago

@Sally Simpson

Even though Sue Bonstra used RS water for the foreground it looks like it is all part of the large lake and thus would not qualify as a separate pond.

Theadora 1 month ago

Theadora, you didn't use water on your design, in fact there's no pond on it, just a tub.

And it was acceped.

Whatever, this contest has been a mess.

Theadora - 1 month ago

@Sally Simpson

Pls check out the link I previously posted.

Whisky barrels, tubs and other above ground containers are also considered to be ponds.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/511228995182568472/?lp=true  

Theadora 1 month ago

It said: "Design a garden with a large pond..."

I think that excludes barrels, tubs…

The rules were quite confusing Imo

Theadora - 30d ago

@Sally Simpson

I'll repeat parts of two clarifications made by Nico which should have made it clear for all concerned what the intention of this contest was.

1. "We removed a lot of entries that didn't meet the description; mainly because they didn't have a pond, but either a lake, a beach, an ocean or a swimming pool : ). That's a pity because I know you put a lot of effort in your designs. Just to be clear: a pond is small piece of water in garden."

2. "Indeed garden ponds are also put in barrels, bathtubs and other containers, you're absolutely correct and I may have overlooked it. Size is quite a relative thing, if your garden is small a small bathtub might fill a big part of your space of course."

Besides asking questions on the Forum when a brief is not totally clear, it might in some cases be helpful for participants to take the initiative and do some research on the subject themselves.

Theadora 30d ago