Back to ForumBack to top
Nico Langeveld - 5 months ago
Contest - Mansion Livingroom

Feel free to talk about things regarding this contest in here.

Nico Langeveld 5 months ago
60 replies
kitty - 5 months ago

What do you mean by 'break open' the wall on the right to add a fireplace?

kitty 5 months ago
lydiaenderlebell - 5 months ago

Good question , want to know as well!!

lydiaenderlebell 5 months ago

So far, everybody labels the entries as "Bay window",  with a few designs showing bay window close ups that do not at all resemble a mansion living room even though the contest calls for a mansion living room.

The Question is, is the bay window the more important aspect of the contest or a mansion style living room (although I think that the room for a mansion living room is kind of narrow and small)

Ellie665 - 5 months ago

Ohmygosh I was one of those people who entered just a bay window . I'm so sorry guys. I thought it was just a bay window contest. I will withdraw my entry immediately!!! 

Ellie665 5 months ago
kitty - 5 months ago

Im interpreting it as a Mansion style living room-The window bay isn't the most important component for me but decorating in mansion house style is...I guess its up to the individual?

kitty 5 months ago
LB1981 - 5 months ago

I think the clue is in the name of the contest. It's "Mansion Livingroom". Obviously all contests are open to interpretation but it seems every single contest there are so many entries that just have nothing to do with the theme or that have missed the point of it or not understood the focus. I know there are people from all around the world on this site so misunderstanding of English are bound to happen. 

I may be wrong but I really think the focus is the Mansion aspect of the room - it's a specific type of house, ie relatively big and luxurious, and usually older more traditional in style although there are plenty of modern mansions too.

LB1981 5 months ago
LB1981 - 5 months ago

Oh I forgot to say, I definitely agree it's a small narrow room for a Mansion - I've always thought of mansions as really grand on a large scale with big rooms and windows and tall ceilings.... so I don't know.

Clarification would be good - and that said I love these template contests - it's so interesting to see how people have used the same space.

LB1981 5 months ago
janip - 5 months ago

Am I missing here something, is this contest now been changed to bay window interior deco? that we focusing how we decorating a bay window area or is it still Mansion living room contest? :)

janip 5 months ago
LB1981 - 5 months ago

I think it's Mansion Living Room that is the theme - the confusion has come from the fact the base template has been named 'Bay Window'

LB1981 5 months ago
kitty - 5 months ago

Also it says we are only allowed to decorate and 'break out' a wall to fit a fireplace (whatever that means?) and do no structural changes-but I'm sure some entries have widened walls or removed doors and added other structural elements.

My understanding was we are only to decorate and furnish the space.

This would make a fair few entries invalid

kitty 5 months ago
Theadora - 5 months ago

My interpretation of this contest is:

1. The protruding wall on the right side lends itself to a accommodate a chimney so could be used to create a fireplace whichever way you want (i.e. "breaking open the wall" by using door openings, etc.).

2. The size of a mansion room is relative to whatever country you live in but I must admit that the size of this room is not exactly what I think of when I imagine a mansion. So I would go with designing a room that has mansion like qualities like rich looking furniture style, wall treatment, etc. - this would be open to any style.

3. I'm with kitty and LB1981 - A fancy living room that happens to have a bay window as part of it. :) 

Theadora 5 months ago
Theadora - 5 months ago

To be quite honest, this template doesn't seem very realistic. Just started working on it and especially the width and height of the doors 0.82 m x 2.70 m seem out of proportion/balance with the room size (5.56 m x 7.59 m/3.10 m ceiling height).  

Theadora 5 months ago
Nico Langeveld - 5 months ago

Hi, sorry for the confusion in the description. The interpretation of Theodora is happens to be 100% correct. I hope that clarifies the contest.

1) Indeed the portruding wall on the right is what used to be a chimney, and can harbor a fireplace, you can add a door opening and a fireplace if you want one. No other structural changes to the room, just try to do with the space that we have presented.

2) I might have said Dutch mansion. In our country a home in the old town of many of the older cities with canals and such are very narrow. 5m width is not exceptional; but indeed compared to other countries it's quite small. A lot of these mansions are now used by people with medium to high incomes that don't mind living small and really want to live in the inner city.

3) The idea is to create an interior that also shows the bay window. It's one of the best parts of the room!! But don't just focus on the bay window.

Nico Langeveld 5 months ago
LB1981 - 5 months ago

Thanks Nico that really helps! =)

LB1981 5 months ago
Ellie665 - 5 months ago

Thanks Nico that really clarifies things :)

Ellie665 5 months ago
Valentinapenta - 5 months ago

Thanks, Nico.   I read that one of the reasons older residences in the Netherlands are narrow has to with the Dutch tax code which was employed centuries ago. Back then, homes were assessed according to the amount of street frontage it took up. To avoid higher assessments, new houses were constructed that were tall, narrow and deep rather than square like today. This kept tax payments low.

Valentinapenta 5 months ago
claudia secareanu - 5 months ago

Hi,i need some help. How can i send my work for the contest.  They re beginning and I m learning now.  Thank You

claudia secareanu 5 months ago
claudia secareanu - 5 months ago

Isucceeded. I/am happy

claudia secareanu 5 months ago
NEVERQUITDESIGNIT - 5 months ago

Hey there Nico! Thanks for clarifying! Just one quick question.....can we change the color of the windows and walls?

thanks,

NQDI

NEVERQUITDESIGNIT 5 months ago
deemuri_co - 5 months ago

I have a question, Is there a general forum not associated with a particular contest but just for general questions, remarks, complaints, etc.

deemuri_co 5 months ago
Theadora - 4 months ago

Go to the top of the Forum page and click on "new discussion".

Theadora 4 months ago
Nico Langeveld - 4 months ago

Hi NQDI, coloring is decorating, so yes that's certainly okay

Nico Langeveld 4 months ago
Teri Dawn - 4 months ago

My scenery depicts Colorado and I pictured a very cool, expensive house there. Not like a Hollywood mansion but just one with expensive, unique furnishings that lend themselves to a luxurious lifestyle of skiing, gatherings, and enjoying the majestic beauty of Colorado. So mine has leather furnishings and lots of books :) I would love to have leather furnishing!

Teri Dawn 4 months ago
deemuri_co - 4 months ago

Thanks, Theadora

deemuri_co 4 months ago
kitty - 4 months ago

At the risk of being boring the brief says not to make any structural changes which I see as leaving the two doors if the view of the room includes them.

theres a few entries that appear to have removed the doors.

kitty 4 months ago
Theadora - 4 months ago

@Nico Langeveld/Roomstyler

Maybe it's time to bring the vote casting down from 10 to 1 vote per person.

164 Entries in this contest x 10 votes each = 1640 available votes.

Only 614 votes were cast leaving 1026 unused votes.

This is sooo not right!

Theadora 4 months ago
starsector - 4 months ago

That's a fairly typical vote spread that I've pointed out many times in the past.  Cutting # votes is one option, but finding ways to encourage more voting participation is a better option.  Either most voters don't know they can have 10 votes, or else most participants don't vote, just enter designs.

starsector 4 months ago
Theadora - 4 months ago

I thought I'd bring it up again because the entries have been increasing steadily and it's pretty obvious people aren't voting.

Call me a pessimist but I believe they just don't want to vote for others and you can't make them - hence I'm all for cutting it down to 1 vote.

I'm hoping Roomstyler will reveal their updates (for Roomstyler) soon and that a change in the way of voting will be part of it.

Theadora 4 months ago

I agree there's some 'strategic' voting, and even non-voting.   It's been my impression that the winners are chosen by roughly 40 consistent responsible voting members.

But  there's not much difference between members self-limiting votes and Roomstyler limiting votes; the end result is the same.

There's many things we could try, such as putting the vote info prominent on the contest pages; Roomstyler auto-generating emails to members/contestants to notify when voting has started and encourage participation; etc.  I'm sure we could brainstorm even more ideas for positive participation.

starsector 4 months ago
Ellie665 - 4 months ago

I personally like getting 10 votes. Sometimes I will forget to check if voting has started, so then my votes don't count, but mostly I vote whenever I can. I like getting 10 votes because if you only had one I would have to choose 1 of my favorites. With 10 votes I can have a variety of choices. I like the Idea of sending auto-generated emails, but if your like me, you don't check your emails often. So that is a problem with the auto-generated emails. I hope we can come to an agreement soon. :) 

Ellie665 4 months ago
kitty - 4 months ago

I actually like getting a choice of 10 votes because that way I can vote for designs I really like who sometimes end up with only 1 or 2 votes but at least I feel I've shown my appreciation for the design.

I also always use my 10 votes-personally I'd find it really impossible to choose just 1 design I like so much better than any of the other say 100 odd entries.

I do however sometimes wonder if a lot of contestants don't bother voting for others as it creates competition? Maybe it should be mandatory that if you submit a design you have to use your 10votes?

I don't know how they'd implement that though! It'd be a logistical nightmare.

Unless an incentive was offered such as everyone who uses their 10 votes gets 1 free credit as 'thanks'

The only other way to do it as contests are set by Roomstyler staff is have them vote for the winners and the community members can just give 'Likes'

I think auto generated emails wouldn't make a difference but perhaps a little pop up message on our profile pages "VOTE NOW!" or similar after the contest thread on this forum would be good?

kitty 4 months ago
Ellie665 - 4 months ago

I agree with kitty. I think giving 1 credit as a 'thanks you' is a good idea. I also like the VOTE NOW idea. Great ideas kitty!!!!

Ellie665 4 months ago

I love your popup "vote now!" idea, Kitty!  Much more effective than emails :)   

I don't think it's ever going to be an option that Roomstyler staff do the voting.  They've pretty much established the contests as an 'automated' process, at least as much as they've been able up to this point.

I'm all for rewarding voting in some fashion, but that's been a controversial idea when I've suggested it in the past (in a different form).

starsector 4 months ago
Theadora - 4 months ago

I also think the popup  would be a great idea!

You don't award (bribe) kids for bad behaviour - this is basically the same thing. I don't care to see non-voters rewarded (bribed) in an attempt to get them to vote - and why should Roomstyler be expected to supply the "rewards", it just doesn't make sense.

I addressed my post specifically to Nico Langeveld and Roomstyler hoping they would take note and perhaps include a few changes to the voting system as part of "The whole roomstyler website will remain, perhaps a bit renewed".

Here is part of a post by Jeroen Bekkers more than 2 months ago:

"Our plan is to provide you in the coming months with the tools to migrate your rooms to the new version (only when you want of course) . The whole roomstyler website will remain , perhaps a bit renewed. But we want to organise more contests and add more content but you will be just using an updated tool to produce your rooms.

Anyway, I am sorry for the misunderstanding about how much curation is done on Roomstyler at this moment (pretty much none) and the lack of attention we have been paying to important details like this in the past 1.5 year. It is definitely not the case that we don't value this community, We are actually very grateful for the creativity you are all displaying via the tools we make. We are simply a small group of programmers and designers that love the idea of building better tools so people can make awesome things and see you as great ambassadors of our tools!. As a company we are small but profitable (we have real estate agents and furniture retailers using our software) and are not owned by VC's or investors so we can have a long term view.

Most of the things you might observe of not answering forums or irrational algorithm behaviour are simply not intentional and are more negligence (sorry for that) and part of our never ending to-do list." 

Theadora 4 months ago

I don't consider not voting as bad behavior, simply a lack of participation in the community.  I think it helps to engage people rather than equate them to misbehaving children.

If you only want input from Nico, rather than forum members, you can always send a private email directly to the tech team using the "contact us' link at the bottom. hth

starsector 4 months ago
Theadora - 4 months ago

It is good to also get input from all members (whether they agree with me or not) so will always post publicly instead of privately e-mailing Roomstyler.

Lack of participation caused by what? 

Not knowing that there are 10 votes available? I think new members are smart enough to catch on quickly and don't account for a large vote loss.

Which leaves members that just don't vote. There has to be a reason for not voting and the only one I can think of is that they don't want to vote for their competition - as kitty stated.

I wouldn't call it "some" strategic voting and non-voting because in this case it accounted for 1026 votes that were not used.

This is a calculated way of changing the contest results and as far as I'm concerned another way of cheating (which is a very childish thing to do-apologies to the honest kids).

Theadora 4 months ago

There are alot of people who enter the contests just to showcase their work, not necessarily interested in winning.  And I suspect there are as many reasons for voting and not voting as there are members.  The proactive thing to do is to try to gather that information and address it to encourage positive participation, not increase contest negativity by wrongly accusing them of cheating.  

starsector 4 months ago
Theadora - 4 months ago

I have no idea how you would gather info like that from members who obviously suffer from apathy.  You can be all pro-active and encourage positive participation but in the end you can't make people vote.  

Theadora 4 months ago

Off the top of my head, one idea for gathering the information would be a brief survey popup (an outgrowth of Kitty's idea) when a member enters a design into a contest. And yes, give them a credit for participating.

Being proactive certainly takes more time and thought, but that's what makes it rewarding for all. Doing the hard work to engage people, because they are valuable; rather than the easy, but ineffective and divisive methods of shaming.

starsector 4 months ago
Theadora - 4 months ago

Everything you've come up with so far requires Roomstyler to add to their workload and decrease their profits by giving away their credits for free.  Floorplanner is their "showpiece"...Roomstyler not so much, Is it worth it to them? I guess we'll find out one way or the other. 

Decreasing the amount of votes allowed is a simple thing to change.

Theadora 4 months ago

Just for the record, I didn't know we had10 votes (can't be the only one who didn't know)nor did I think these contest and winning meant so much to some of you. I personally didn't care if I put my what I thought was one vote in because many times who would win or who had many votes to those who got zero were grossly unfit. when contest said design a living room and people made bedrooms or bathrooms and receive votes for it to me is not taking it seriously so why would it matter or count? Or rooms that clearly show not an ounce of talent rather common sense to a semi-decent room leaves one with the attitude it doesn't matter.  I forget who one the Aspen chalet and even though this person is clearly talented and has great designs in their work, that one in my humble opinion should not have won since it did not resemble a chalet in Aspen it looked to me with the color pallet and all more like a beach house in San Diego. Then there are those people who place a f***ing cow in the middle of the room and submit it.  That I know is uncontrollable even may be funny and give some other more confidence in their own work when you look at some of these rooms but it does tend to take away for the importance and responsibility that you all are expressing here.  which another point I should say is also not exactly thought to be that important, the forums... unless needing advice or help one tends to think not to check forums for what's happening.  I don't know what made me check this today but I happened to check and thought I'd give you at least one point of view whether it helps or not I don't know but I've now commented on this with the intent to offer help. when you give someone a heart cuz you like their stuff is that considered a vote or just a heads up to someone that you like it. I'm pretty lazy and don't mark those and even may have hearted a few recently  but still  got lazy and stopped scrolling through the total of them therefore not showing there are more designs that should have been hearted to that are nice work  but just didn't mark it  either out of being lazy or neighbor pops over and I go off the computer quickly or for whatever reason didn't think it was a big deal. Im sorry. My bad....  

deemuri_co 4 months ago

Starsector, I agree with your comments here. just saying.

deemuri_co 4 months ago

Theadora, I'm not understanding the rationale of decreasing the number of votes allowed.  To me, it sounds like trying to punish people who are not voting anyway.  In practice, it would punish everyone and benefit no one. 

I'm sure Roomstyler/Floorplanner can take care of their own finances.  And they've consistently demonstrated they value their members on the site.

starsector 4 months ago
Theadora - 4 months ago

@Starsector

If you have 1 vote, you are voting for that design to win. The other 9 are just fancy "likes" that dilutes the effectiveness of your initial vote.

If everyone votes for a particular design as their 3rd favourite this could easily win the contest without being anyone's first choice.

I have no interest in seeing people "punished" but rather the implementation of a voting system that does a better job and is more fair than what we have in place now.

Theadora 4 months ago

Now that is a far more proactive, and effective, presentation of an issue...

And you're not wrong. If voter 1 choses A, B, C; and voter 2 choses B, C, D; and voter 3 choses C, D, E, than choice C has the most votes and wins, even though it wasn't everybodys first choice.

However, it is a design that the majority of people agreed was good enough to select; or in other words, it trended toward being high in a majority of people's opinions.

If we only had one vote, in the scenario above, A, B, and C would each receive only one vote, and there would be no winner, just potentially multitudes of 'ties', and no one would be happy.

starsector 4 months ago

Besides, if most voters are like me, it's very difficult to choose just one winner since there are so many great designs.  I'd end up narrowing it down to 2-3, than just throwing the proverbial 'dart' to choose, so it's already diluted.

starsector 4 months ago

And of course, that won't actually solve the original issue.  If someone is only casting 1 of their 10 votes, just for the one they want to win, they are already doing what you suggest, not diluting the votes.  

On the other hand, reducing the # of votes for people like me and those who commented above would be penalizing us for recognizing the huge variety of talent and different styles/tastes.

Nor does it actually encourage non-voters to vote, or to vote responsibly.  That issue would persist.

starsector 4 months ago

@deemuri, thanks for your comments!  I think you're right that a lot of people don't know they can have 10 votes, it's not posted anywhere in the contests! And I do understand how discouraging it can be to see 'problematic' entries receiving a few votes.

My philosophy is to not give it any power, nor more weight than necessary. They rarely, if ever, decide the outcome of a contest.

The contests aren't devalued because of their actions. They are only devalued when caring, responsible  people like you don't participate in a process :)

starsector 4 months ago
Valentinapenta - 4 months ago

I hope Roomstyler will read all the comments on this thread, and give the suggestions consideration, however I think the team is quite busy right now with Floorplanner.

https://www.furnituretoday.com/technology/tech-company-floorplanner-upgrades-to-a-5-step-room-design/

http://gertjanvanderwel.com/

Valentinapenta 4 months ago

Wow, I did not realize what all goes into this program.  For those of you who are involved in making it something we love, thank you ...  and I hope our ignorance does not discourage you or let you down.  You are all very much appreciated and unfortunately a bit taken for granted which I  see now but only through stumbling onto this conversation. And honestly, I'm still not sure I get the politics within but I am willing to bet most don't either.  I'm sure there is more stuff that I will do and others will do unintentionally to frustrate you or muck up your goals for room styler /floor planner (see I didn't even know there is a distinction between those two names ) is there?  You don't have to answer that LOL  but just know it's on us due to our lack of knowledge.  I'm going to add another comment to explain how I've used room styler, you will see the lack of thought or awareness and I'm sure many many are doing the same. If you don't know this already ( you probably do) but in case you don't know how blindly we participate or lack of participation this may shed some light which may help enable you to make decisions for achieving the goals and participation you desire.

deemuri_co 4 months ago

I'm always on my laptop for everything.  So I click on my link to roomstyler and click contest to see if a new challenge is there.  Without looking around at the work of others in the running contest I go to tools - 3D planner and usually start making rooms independent of the contest.  Rooms that I would like to live in. Go to start from scratch or and assuming I've made my contest room,  I often make a 2nd, 3rd, 5th version a different option to a contest. I rarely read forums. When I'm done and have chosen the room I'm going to enter, I submit it and then I will look to see what others have entered.  I usually don't go back to see the last of the entries.  I  look later to see who won, check out what they made. I also look at who came in  2nd, 3rd and on down the list. That's it. I close out and don't think too much more. I'm amazed that people who place a mirror on the wall with a bed in the room and a person standing in that room, uninitialized, with no depth perceptions, end up with  8 points when there are great rooms that are 3D finished and get zero.  No one noticed, but thanks for explaining it doesn't change the totality.  I do ignore those but at first its leaves one thinking WTF? LOL,  anyway I  play around with camera angles on my past designs or make more rooms how I would design them as I  wait for the next contest, rinse, repeat, rinse. repeat. I don't know about points or buying stuff or actions that may enable to be able to do more realistic work or better choices.  Don't really get that whole thing and being as its unaffordable for me to upgrade my options, I don't really want to know.  I'm one of those people who won't go shopping with a friend when they ask me to go to the mall. Why would I want to see what I can't have? I'm happier in my non-materialistic world.  I don't know what the Smiths have. So I'm not envious or hurt or feel deprived.  Its the only way to live when you're poor. I don't window shop for a reason. So honestly I have no idea what I could be doing on here.  I imagine it would be, for example, the beds...drive me crazy.  I can't put down bedding or find beautiful feathers and down comforters or bed skirts or a ruffled used bed. Maybe some clothes neatly, purposely tossed on a chair, etc.,  the way  I see it in my head. I would love to fine tune the rooms with plaster walls you might see in Greece or foods on a table, a cool old wood table you might find in Italy.  I wish I could ... for me to grow in design and for room styler to reap the rewards they so deserve... it's unfortunate but you know... I don't,  I can't live above my means. In life or play.  I wear blinders for a reason. It's not meant to be disrespectful or in any way not caring or interested. I skip in and out oblivious to what is around me but after reading the discussion and how much time and thought and what this all means to you all, it struck me...it moved me and wanted to help in some way even though I have nothing to offer yet I felt I wanted too.  I'm still moved and thankful.  I'm aware I can use it free for fun which causing work for this team to deal with and can see how others can use it with some paid options for their own careers etc., as a tool for them to aid in making a living which I'm guessing it was probably intended for. What a great tool.   I can see many different uses this program has to offer to help many people with projects and financial gain...and then there is the rest of us...dead weight.  Oblivious to what you all put in so we can play with our crayons.  I don't know whether to apologize or thank you.  Probably both are appropriate. 

deemuri_co 4 months ago
kitty - 4 months ago

@deemuri_co thats beautifully voiced and I get it completely!

I use this site for escapism and an outlet for my creativity and passion for interior design-I will never be able to go and study architecture or interiors at college  (finances mean I have to work) so for me this site kind of fulfils dreams-as well as offers a form of relaxation when I get home from work.

I do get upset when I say designs that ignore the brief or are just random furniture shoved in a room getting more votes than designs I've put a lot of thought and love into-I know it sounds pathetic to admit this-as these things shouldn't matter.

@Starsector I agree with you strongly-I really think giving us only one vote wouldn't make the competitions any fairer, and I for one would hate having to choose just one design to vote for as there are usually several I believe worthy of a vote.

I only started entering competitions because after spending a few years away from Roomstyler I found my designs weren't getting the likes they used to get as the community had grown hugely in that time so obviously nobody was seeing them; I decided to enter contests mainly just to get my designs seen again as I must confess it can be soul destroying doing a design you're proud of and realising nobody has looked at it!

kitty 4 months ago
kitty - 4 months ago

and competitions are a good way to step out of my design 'comfort zone' and think of answering different design briefs.

I used to tend to do very minimalist modern spaces but the contests make me experiment and get new ideas-I love them for that reason!

kitty 4 months ago

deemuri and Kitty, beautifully written!  Thank you both for sharing :)  I'm the same, enjoying the escapism and the creative process.

starsector 4 months ago
Nico Langeveld - 4 months ago

Hi there all,

We read your conversations about the voting. Thank you for al the suggestions to improve the contest system. Currently we are very busy trying to make floorplanner ready and good enough for the roomstyler community, so we have only 1 platform to focus on, so we can only do very minor changes to Roomstyler and the contest platform.

Having said that, I think the biggest thing we can improve to increase the voting is awareness. So we decided to send an email to all contenders whenever a contest enters the voting stage, telling they can cast 10 votes; including a link to the contest page. I think within a few weeks we can find some time to implement this. I hope this will help!

Nico Langeveld 4 months ago
Theadora - 4 months ago

Thank you Nico. :)

Theadora 4 months ago
Valentinapenta - 4 months ago

Thanks, Nico.  Good luck with the upgrades.

Valentinapenta 4 months ago

Awesome, Nico, thanks :)

starsector 4 months ago
kitty - 4 months ago

One thing I would like to add is that for a while when voted started on competitions I thought clicking on the heart counted as a vote-it was only when I started entering them that I realised hovering my mouse on the bottom right gave me a 'Vote' 

perhaps others may not know this?  

kitty 4 months ago